Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who shoot them can you tell me why they are so difficult to find. I shoot a 30' and thought it might be nice to own 32" ,but they do not seem available. I have discovered they were available in a top single combo does anyone shoot one.

Joe

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The Plus guns were probably one of the best bang for the buck guns ever made. Far ahead of their time.

The 32" guns are out there, but it seems as if the span that they are available keeps getting longer and longer. I haven't seen very many combos around.

Also, it seems they aren't getting any cheaper. A clean used one will fetch almost as much as a new XT.

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
I have a 34" 99Plus and a 32" Citori Plus. I like them both. I had a 34/32 combo I foolishly sold on this board. At least I used the money to buy an Ithaca Knicks 5E.It has been quite a few years since they were made and it seems when one gets sold the new owner won't part with it. Mine are adjusted to have the same POI.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have a 32/34 combo. it was my first true trap gun. It just sits in the safe now as I shoot only my 90-T and not much with that.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I bought one when they first came out - in fact, I bought the first one a large wholesaler received. I thought it felt "clubbish" but bought it anyway because it was a 32" without porting and as common as 30" Browning O/Us are and as hot on porting as Browning is, I thought that between the barrel length and no porting, it might become a rarity. It did and I sold it a year or two after they stopped making them.

Ed

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was not aware they were even made with no porting, it must been a rare piece. I like the gun very much wish I had a 32.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
AverageEd,

You bought a guh that you didn't like the feel of because you thought it would become a rarity and it did. Then when they stopped making them you sold it presumably at a profit. Good for you.

But in the thread about what turns people off in the guns for sale for you it was the word rare. I guess it is different when it is your gun.

A bit hypocritical isn't it.

Bud

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I guess that all depends if Ed described the gun as rare in the for sale ad. Although, I don't believe many of the plus guns ever made it out as olympic models, I believe that is how the unported guns were marketed. I guess that would qualify them as 'rare', not something that you don't see for sale very often.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If he bought the gun only because he thought it would be a rarity and said it did become one you can bet he used that rarity as a selling point.

I just wonder why it bothers him when someone else uses rarity as a selling point.

Bud

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Since it is of such importance to at least one of you, I never really had the gun for sale and therefore did not have to advertise it at all. A shooter at a local club knew I had it, had not altered it in any way and had shot it very little. He made me an offer and became the proud owner. In case the amount of his offer matters to you as much as how I might have advertised the gun, he offered me every cent I paid for it, including sales tax. That was $1,349.95 plus $81.00 sales tax for a grand total of $1,430.95. I didn't make a dime on it; I was just glad to not lose anything on it as I no doubt would have had it been a ported 30" gun. I can provide the buyer's name and the club at which he made the offer if you need that info to feel all good again.

But since you brought it up, Bud, if you owned a gun that was unusual and wanted to sell it, are you expecting us to believe that that you wouldn't at least mention that there weren't many of them around?

What I dislike is when "rare" is misused and you see that a lot in ads, so much so that it is a red flag for a lot of gun shoppers. Scan through online auction ads and you'll see relatively common guns described as "rare" - and in fairness, it many times is because the seller doesn't know the product line well and really thinks it is. Good examples are the Remington Model 700BDLs made between 1997 and 2001 - they had scroll engraved receivers and you often see them advertised as being "rare" or Custom Shop guns because the seller assumes that any engraved Model 700 had to come from that department and accordingly, there can't be very many of them.

By the way, the older gentleman who purchased that Citori Plus from me bought it as an investment piece as he only shot Krieghoffs. Does that make me a bad guy for selling to scum who hoped to make money on it later?

Ed

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
If I shoot at all it will be indoors with a handgun, Calvin. I had my weight loss surgery last Thursday and am not supposed to lift much or do anything resembling strenuous for a month or so until the staples in my stomach cavity heal over. But that's all worthwhile for I came home from the hospital last Friday morning weighing 318.0 pounds and hit the scale at 303.2 this morning. My goal is to lose 100 pounds; the surgeon thinks I can lose 120.

But wherever you shoot, bring home the bacon!

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts