Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of new to trap shooting and I recently bought a browning 725 skeet gun and I was told that it would be perfect for trap. After working with a very experienced trap shooter I was told that I had the wrong gun, and I was wondering if 725 trap barrels would fit the skeet action? Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
I would think that it would not be so much of a bl. fitting your action as the 725 actions are the same it would be your stock.If it is set up for skeet and does not have a adjustable comb getting the gun set up would be pretty difficult.Also the if you do have a adjustable comb Im thinking you would have to jack it up pretty high to get things where they would level out.I would also ask the person who told you it would be perfect for trap if they would please explain why they feel it would be perfect for trap?Especially to achieve a POI that is desirable for trap shooting and also has the adjustments to fit you well ect.

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
I agree with double auto, you do not normally see Browning offer rep. BLs for sale.Im still amazed that someone would tell you that a skeet gun would be perfect for trap?

·
Registered
661 Posts
With an adjustable comb you can easily change the point-of- impact by adding washers to shoot different games, assuming that you know what POI you want. Most skeet shooters use a flat shooting gun. Most trap shooters use a higher shooting gun. One of the best shooters I know, uses a flat shooting gun for all sports. The next issue is barrel length and swing weights to match your gun handling needs in different games. You didn't list your barrel lengths. It would not be difficult to shoot different games with one set of barrels by changing the POI on an adjustable comb, unless you need really short barrels for skeet and long barrels for trap. If you have 30" barrels you could probably use them for both skeet and trap. Call Graco-Corp for info on installing an adjustable comb.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I don't think the skeet stocks are parallel like the trap stocks. May cause a little recoil into the face, even with an adjustable comb.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a 725 skeet with 28" barrel. Last month I picked up a 30" high rib sporting barrel and had it fitted. Looks great, shoots fine. I still like my 28" barrels the best, but the other high rib will fit your receiver. I will sell it, if you are interested. John

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thanks! And it has 32" barrels ans an adjustable comb.
If it has the adjustable comb as you say and 32" barrels it sounds like you have a sporting clays gun and not a skeet gun as I have
never herd of browning selling a 725 skeet with 32" barrels. you should be able to adjust your come up and shoot trap with it.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I agree with shotgun52. I’ve got a Browning 525 sporting clays with 32” barrels. I had an adjustable comb put on it. I use it for Skeet and Trap. I have to adjust the comb height, but it works just fine for both games. You don’t need new barrels. Just set the POI and pattern it, and you will be in business.

Edit: Couple of things I missed. I doubt it is a Skeet gun with 32” barrels. Secondly it won’t make the “Perfect” trap gun but it will work, as mine does. I do a bit better with a trap gun.

·
Registered
999 Posts
With the proper chokes I don't see why those Skeet barrels wouldn't work in Trap. The rib isn't high but it isn't flat either. Besides, the rib height isn't what makes a Trap gun shoot high. An adjustable comb is what will accomplish that. The comb on those 725 Skeet models looks pretty parallel in pictures. At least much more than the Sporting 725's but I haven't seen one in person to know for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 725 skeet with 28" barrel. Last month I picked up a 30" high rib sporting barrel and had it fitted. Looks great, shoots fine. I still like my 28" barrels the best, but the other high rib will fit your receiver. I will sell it, if you are interested. John
John, this is Mike. If you still have them, I would be interested in the 30” high rib barrels. Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agree with MBM, I have the 725 Skeet model and the stock is very parallel compared to a 725 Sporting; that was one of the reasons I wanted it. And with the right chokes, trap should be OK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ll take it!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
.Im still amazed that someone would tell you that a skeet gun would be perfect for trap?
I'm not.

We coach a LOT of new people (sometimes we even get paid for it) and 80% of them have the wrong guns for trap.

We always hear "The guy at the gun shop said this would be perfect for trap".

Of course, the gun shop salesman has never shot trap, and has no idea what he is talking about. He just wants to move the stock he has on hand, which is mostly field guns So he says whatever he needs to in order to make the sale, rather than having to get in a specific model that isn't in stock. We are then stuck with telling the poor schmuck that his/her 28" 6 pound gun with 2 1/2" drop at heel will certainly allow them to shoot AT trap targets, but they won't hit as many as they would with a trap gun, plus they get beat up to hell because the gun is too light and fits like 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag.

I had the same issue when I was coaching PPC pistol, where extreme accuracy is required with cast bullets, and people would get sold a Glock or an S&W M&P. Great guns, but not noted for 50 yard 1" groups.

Gun shops are often the worst places from which to take advice about guns.

·
Registered
22,780 Posts
I'm not.

We coach a LOT of new people (sometimes we even get paid for it) and 80% of them have the wrong guns for trap.

We always hear "The guy at the gun shop said this would be perfect for trap".

Of course, the gun shop salesman has never shot trap, and has no idea what he is talking about. He just wants to move the stock he has on hand, which is mostly field guns So he says whatever he needs to in order to make the sale, rather than having to get in a specific model that isn't in stock. We are then stuck with telling the poor schmuck that his/her 28" 6 pound gun with 2 1/2" drop at heel will certainly allow them to shoot AT trap targets, but they won't hit as many as they would with a trap gun, plus they get beat up to hell because the gun is too light and fits like 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag.

I had the same issue when I was coaching PPC pistol, where extreme accuracy is required with cast bullets, and people would get sold a Glock or an S&W M&P. Great guns, but not noted for 50 yard 1" groups.

Gun shops are often the worst places from which to take advice about guns.
Went to a LGS looking to see what they had for trap guns. They had none but the “salesman” tried to pass a Ruger off as one. I don’t recall the model but it was a light field gun. I just turned away, left the store, and have never been back.

·
Banned
531 Posts
I have a High rib adjustable stock 32" 725 sporting gun, I recently purchased a 30" O/U barrel with a flat rib, and it fit perfect on my 725 no fitting required. locks up tight and have shot it a lot lately.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i shoot my 725 trap for everything sporting trap and skeet no issues 🤷🏻‍♂️ just a choke change

1 - 20 of 20 Posts