Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of new to trap shooting and I recently bought a browning 725 skeet gun and I was told that it would be perfect for trap. After working with a very experienced trap shooter I was told that I had the wrong gun, and I was wondering if 725 trap barrels would fit the skeet action? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
He's full of male bovine excrement!!! There is only a 4 inch difference in pattern between the two in the first place. No one that I know can place a shotgun barrel that close on a moving target!!! You have the perfect all around gun for all the clay target games. Now go out there and have some fun. The best knowledge has to be pulled like teeth from those in the know. You get what you pay for, most often.
Oh Yeh, I sorry, Welcome to TS.com. Here you can learn a lot if you don't believe everyone. You'll figure it out as you go along. Again Welcome. Shoot whatever games you want and don't forget to have fun. Get pointers along the way. Get these from the guys who shoot the best. Use the ones that work for you and drop the ones that don't. Don't use your arms to move the gun. Learn proper gun movement and gun safety is always number one. break em all. Jeff
PS No you can't get different barrels and swap them out.

·
Banned
197 Posts
I agree with Pull & Mark...you can make any functional shotgun work, especially at the 16 yard line. It's when you start earning handicap yardage that the design of your gun becomes more critical.

I once saw a kid (maybe 9/10 years old or so) shooting a .410 that looked like a BB gun from a distance and was doing OK from the 16 yd line. He certainly wasn't crushing them all, but the ones he broke had decent breaks.

I have a Browning Grade 6 O/U skeet gun from the early 90's with 28" barrels. When I bought it there were IC chokes in each barrel. Wanting to give it a try, I took it straight to the trap range and shot it at the 22 yd line and did OK, not great, but the misses were definitely my fault. Fast forward a few weeks and I replaced the IC chokes with Browning Midas Grade Full chokes and returned to the range. Now I'm pretty damn good with the gun. Shot it yesterday at the 27 yd line and got some decent breaks on stations 2,3 and 4 completely sucked at 1 and 5. Note that I'm NOT a 27 yd shooter, my ATA handicap is 2o yds and my Winter League handicap is 24 yds.

Just trying to illustrate that breaking targets has a lot more to do with the shooter than with the gun.

·
Banned
197 Posts
I think I saw in another thread that your gun has an adjustable comb and 32" barrels, is that correct? If so, then you can use that gun for anything and expect to do well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts