Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a source for shorter 12ga cleaning rods that are chuckable (put in a drill)? I want one for cleaning chokes and bores. Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just pick up a 3-piece aluminum Hoppe's shotgun rod and use the tip section. Its threads match cleaning brushes, mops, etc. They can be had for $2-3 used at gun shows. I keep a complete one, plus brush a few patches and some solvent in the outside pocket of my most used soft case in case I need it at the range or hunting. -Ed

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I use a pistol cleaning rod that the handle screws off. Short rod but I have to use an adapter for the larger thread size.

·
Registered
14,130 Posts
Just pick up a 3-piece aluminum Hoppe's shotgun rod and use the tip section. Its threads match cleaning brushes, mops, etc. They can be had for $2-3 used at gun shows. I keep a complete one, plus brush a few patches and some solvent in the outside pocket of my most used soft case in case I need it at the range or hunting. -Ed
And if you need it longer than one section will allow, use permanent loctite and glue them together.

I did that with a hoppes rod, red loctited the three sections together, feathered all the joints out with sandpaper so there wasn't any lips, and straightened it by eye/hand best I could, it's not pretty, but it was cheap and gets the job done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have one that I got from Brownell's. One piece, solid brass, long enough to use in a 34" barrel, and has a hex end to stay chucked in an electric drill. A very high quality cleaning rod that will last several lifetimes.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The Brownell's looks nice. I have a set (long rod and short one for chambers/forcing cones/CT's with aluminum rod guide) that I got from Johnny's Brass Rods who used to frequent TS.com. Johnny quit the business and I'm glad to see that some one is making them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My local machinist made me a 3/8" brass rod tapped for 5/16"x27. He turned one end down to 5/16" for my drill. I had it made to 38" in length and it cost me $20. a shorter one would be pretty inexpensive. Your local price may vary.

I had to source the tap as that was a non-standard size and the machinist didn't have it. I believe I paid $9 for a HSS bottoming tap online.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts