Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys-

I'm looking to buy a chronograph for shotgun shells. What brand do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
You can spend into the thousands of dollars for one or spend $100 for a ProChrono and just deduct 35fps from your readings. I've had some of the "better" ones - Pact, CED - and their photocells are much more sensitive to light. Many times, depending upon the sun's angle, they just wouldn't work or gave obviously incorrect readings.

Ed

·
Premium Member
10,397 Posts
Chrony beta-- has a remote display- very handy when testing shotgun loads in particular

Better than the most expensive ones

They have a trade in policy

They offer inexpensive repairs if that if ever needed

They are accurate and easy to use

Regards from Iowa

Gene

·
Registered
172 Posts
AveragEd Why do you have to deduct 35FPS when you use a ProChrono? I set it in the shade at the north end of the house. Out of five shells the differance is only 2-3FPS. When I check shells I hand weigh each shell before I put them on the reloader. Henry

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Henry, that's because "hobby" chronographs like the ProChrono and others in that price range are built for handgun, rifle and archery use where there is one projectile. Shotgun-specific chronographs clock the mass of the pellets while ones like the ProChrono clock the leading pellet, which yields artificially high readings. Shotgun-specific ones are very costly; it's a lot less expensive to just do a little math.

Ed

·
Registered
837 Posts
Oehler 35p with the optional lights. With all the money you spend on guns, shooting and reloading the cost is minimal. It is a tool for confidence.

CM

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Ed, I have checked the Ohler website , also sellers and cannot see any mention of the Ohler for sale as using induction sensors.

a quote touting their diffusers above the skyscreens......."The new diffuser's special blaze orange material provides the highest sensitivity with early and late light."

Sounds like regular skyscreens. $345 is out of my league.

No doubt the best but after all, it's shotguns, I would go with the $100 unit..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.