Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had excellent response to my earlier "Downsizing from 12 ga to 20 ga. Several commented, "need to choke accordingly". Are you guys telling me that I need to choke tighter with the 20 ga? Where I would be using IC should do Lt Mod or Mod?

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
I use IC or Mod on our seven stand, but your distances may vary. Most of the time I use a Mod.

Reactions: R.Kipling

·
Registered
597 Posts
KL

Imp Cylinder and 8's for up close targets and Modified out to 40yds for most sporting targets ,"but for those targets out 50 or 60 yards" Imp Mod and 71/2's .

To get a sense of how your chokes work in your gun at close and far targets put them on paper. That
should eliminate doubt (a big factor in shooting a good score).

If you reload check out Hodgdon's website using their Longshot powder.
Some good 20 gauge recipes.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Eddie

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: Choke the same as you would for 12 gauge. So if you are using a modified for 12 gauge use a modified for 20 gauge. 28 gauge I actually choke one under so light mod instead of modified. 410 not there yet. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I shoot the 28 on sporting clays,,

Choke same as 12 guys use, But most often I shoot skeet II

DGH

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I spent a day at a Sporting Clinic shooting a flat of STS Light Recoil #8 (1135fps) using the Light Skeet and Skeet chokes the instructors insisted on. I had no trouble making very convincing breaks on all targets, even at 45 yards. That proved to me that you don't need tight chokes. That being said, I usually use IC and LM.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
It's all relative to the targets and distance. On edge, or some distance, tighten up LM/MOD. Open face IC/LM.

If I drop a target, I prefer it to be because I mis-pointed, not a hole in my pattern.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
KL, I'm not sure what your trying to say exactly??? If your just shooting a Sporting Clay course with a different gauge gun, all is the same. If the Target is 25-30 yards out, a IC choke will work just fine in a 28 gauge gun, or a 20 gauge gun, or a 12 gauge gun.

But, If your loading a 7/8 oz load, or even a 3/4 oz. load into a 12 gauge gun and your shooting the same 25-30 yard shot with your 12 gauge gun with less lighter payloads, Then Yes, you may want to change from the normal IC choke that would normally be used for that distance target to say a LT. Mod. choke--- or even a Modified choke for the 3/4 oz. load. To "Really Know" if you need to change chokes, you may have to shoot 5-10 patterns from all 3 chokes with both the 7/8 oz. and the 3/4 oz. load to really see if you need to change. So I hope that helped you out some. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

Then again, I was shooting Sporting Clays this past weekend and was using my tubed Skeet gun and shooting the 20 ga. tubes. Now I have removeable chokes for these tubes, and had the IC chokes in the gun. We hit a station that had a 90 degress true crosser targer w/ a report target coming from way back between a small opening in the back tree line. The crosser target was shoot about 45-50 yards out, as was the incoming target that started out at tree height about 75 yards out and needed to be shot at about the same 45-50 yards out, before it started to drop rapidly. I broke 7 out of the 8 with the IC chokes. The one I missed was not because of the choke. These targets were in a Lt. Mod. to a Mod. range out, but I was to lazy to change up chokes. As said, you can break targets out much farther than most shooters think you can. Still most Trap shooters will choke for smoke, no matter what. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Many Sporting Clays targets are very similar to Trap targets. When I see targets that are over 30 yards away that look like trap targets I put in tighter chokes just like I would if I was shooting trap.

Many Sporting Clays shooters will use skeet or I/C chokes and say that is all they need. But when they shoot there second shot at a going away target they are in a rush and trying to shoot their second shot very quickly. On many of these second shot going away targets if you use a tighter choke there is no reason to be in a hurry.

I like to use a Mod or Imp/Mod on those going away targets so I can take my time to break them. I can break more on edge going away targets at 35 to 50 yards with a tighter choke and taking my time than by trying to shoot quicker with a more open choke.

All Sporting Clays courses and 5-Stands are not the same so I always have my Imp/Mod and Full chokes with me in case I need them.

With a 20 ga I would do the same thing and use tighter chokes for the longer on edge or longer going away targets.

I don't think very many good Trap Doubles shooters use I/C or L/M chokes on their second shot while shooting doubles.

·
Registered
411 Posts
from a George Digweed interview

My gun is 100% standard, full & full chokes, because I firmly believe if you can’t hit it with full chokes and a White Gold 7.5, then it can’t be killed! Last year, I asked Perazzi to make me a spare set of barrels because some FITASC targets were being set that were about 15-25ft away. Every target needs respect, but I felt that after shooting in Austria where I missed 3 or 4 of those and lost a shoot by 2 targets, that I was handicapping myself by having full choke. So Perazzi made me an exactly matched set of barrels, same weight etc. but with 3/8 & 5/8 chokes.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
When I first started shooting shotgun comp I was a choke-twister, constantly evaluating targets for choke changes. After several years of this I realized that if I focus on the target Mod does everything that I need, and more. It sure simplified my shooting and magnified the enjoyment of my time-in-the-field. After a short adjustment time, my scores increased as well. It is an exercise in learning to focus on the important part of shooting flying targets, the target.

I took an Andy Duffy clinic years ago that I wish I had listened to much earlier. Duffy quote:"choke will gain you inches, misses are made in feet."

Regards,
Kip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts