Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trap gun is a single with removable chokes.
Shooting from 25 yard line with new Winchester AA 1 1/8 oz, nbr 8, 1200 @ fps (the Red "Heavy" shell).
Both chokes (30 and 35 thou) have same point of impact--pattern board and bore laser confirmed.
The 30 thou chokes absolutely smokes targets from 16 yard line to the porch. The 35 thou choke, not so much.

Before I go to pattern board to test (per Neil W's reference paper) my question is, can the 35 thou choke be too much and its having a negative impact to the pattern?

Thanks
Gavin

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
Shooting from 25 yard line with new Winchester AA 1 1/8 oz, nbr 8, 1200 @ fps (the Red "Heavy" shell).
Both chokes (30 and 35 thou) have same point of impact--pattern board and bore laser confirmed.
The 30 thou chokes absolutely smokes targets from 16 yard line to the porch. The 35 thou choke, not so much.

Before I go to pattern board to test (per Neil W's reference paper) my question is, can the 35 thou choke be too much and its having a negative impact to the pattern?

Thanks
Gavin
No.

·
Premium Member
12,351 Posts

Thanks
Gavin
Far too many other things it could be to say at this point that there's something wrong with the tighter choke.

But my money is on, the choke is fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Far too many other things it could be to say at this point that there's something wrong with the tighter choke.

But my money is on, the choke is fine.
I agree with timb99 . I had same experience with same chokes the 30 gave the best patterns with 8s the 35 did better with 7.5 40 was lousy with both size shot chokes can be pretty fickle.

·
Premium Member
12,351 Posts
I had same experience with same chokes the 30 gave the best patterns with 8s the 35 did better with 7.5 40 was lousy with both size shot chokes can be pretty fickle.
First, I never said anything close to what you said. In fact, quite the opposite.

Detailed scientific testing shows...

Barrels and chokes don't care what size of shot goes through them. Proving otherwise takes a lot of time and effort.

All else equal, a choke with 35 thousandths will always pattern tighter than one with 30 thousandths, and 40 thousandths (sometimes, but not always) tighter than 35 thousandths.

Barrels and chokes are not fickle...

Use the advanced search function and search on the words "Pattern Testing" in the title, and posted by me. You'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TimB99
I tried the advanced search function and I saw you had a LOT of posts on pattern testing. Is there one artle in particular you recommend?
thank you
Gavin

·
Premium Member
12,351 Posts
TimB99
I tried the advanced search function and I saw you had a LOT of posts on pattern testing. Is there one artle in particular you recommend?
thank you
Gavin
The link that @Drew Hause posted is a good one. Start there.

I haven't done much testing of a choke of one size versus another, but I did a couple where I tested multiple guns/chokes of the same constriction, and found them all to throw about the same pattern percentages, statistically speaking. And all of them were around 40 thousandths and threw very good patterns (noting that you can't compare the two sets of data directly since they were done on different days and weather does affect the numbers.)

Have a look at these:

Reactions: charleyj10

·
Registered
752 Posts

Thanks
Gavin
Perazzi doesn't think a shotgun can be overchoked. My three best barrels are all fixed at .041. A lot about what we think "shoots better", "smokers targets better", "hits the bird harder", or "better breaks from longer yardage" is really just in our heads. If we THINK something is better, we will shoot it better. If you want to know the truth, spend time at the pattern board...lots of time.

Paul

·
Registered
777 Posts
With trap loads, I consider 35 thou. just right, if I ever order myself another new perazzi trapgun that will be the choke I request , on this subject there’s as many opinions as there are shooters, I am by no means a fast shooter, I believe it helps me mentally, to totally destroy the target, so I favor tighter chokes

·
Banned
10 Posts

Thanks
Gavin
Yes it can affect your pattern

1 - 11 of 11 Posts