Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you change the choke on your shotgun depending on what the weight is on your shot? Example 3/4oz, 7/8oz, 1oz, 1 1/8oz. Like for 3/4 and 7/8 do you use a different choke as you would use for 1oz or 1 1/8oz? If so what choke do you use with which shot weight?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Going to set up some cardboard targets and try different chokes and different loads weights.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Ive been told that a beretta choke runs one size tighter then most. I shoot IM for singles, caps and second shot in Doubles. I shoot 1 oz for everything.

To each their own. Remember there is never a hole in the middle of your pattern.

Best of luck

Brady

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
A field trial shooter I knew shot 3/oz loads for skeet practice, and said they shot tighter than 1 oz through the same choke. I called him a liar and he proved it shooting into our pond. There was a visible difference.

Until Neil weighs in I'll just withhold judgement.

HM

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
I'll bite LOL

If shooting 1 1/8 oz on the 16, I use a LM choke in my Blaser. A Mod for one ounce, and the IMOD for 24 gram. I get the best breaks with the IMOD and Bunker loads.

I have started shooting 3/4 oz with MOD chokes on our Sporting course, but do not shoot this load on the Trap field. It does work well on Skeet with SK chokes.

I very rarely shoot 1 1/8 oz on the 16, and almost never shoot the 12 on the Skeet field.

My 12 ga field gun (1940 Model 12 with Briley Thinwalls) gets copper plated 24 gram Bunker loads with either 4's, 5's, or 7 1/2's, using LM or IMOD, depending on game. The 30" gun had a ring near the muzzle, hence the chokes and 28" barrel.

I am not saying my way is the only way, but this is how I shoot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts