Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Briley thinwall choke tube stuck in my wifes BT99. It was lubed but about 400 round have been shot through it over the past 6 weeks. I've been soaking it in Knao Kroil for about two days now and it's still stuck. Not sure how much tork I should apply trying to free it, but I've definently put some weight behind it and it hasn't budged. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a Briley thinwall choke tube stuck in my wifes BT99. It was lubed but about 400 round have been shot through it over the past 6 weeks. I've been soaking it in Knao Kroil for about two days now and it's still stuck. Not sure how much tork I should apply trying to free it, but I've definently put some weight behind it and it hasn't budged. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tried many suggestions I got on this forum, none worked for me. Maybe I didn't use enough torque though, was afraid of doing serious damage. I finally sent it to Briley and Cliff removed it with no damage to barrel or choke for a reasonable price. Satisfied me anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tried many suggestions I got on this forum, none worked for me. Maybe I didn't use enough torque though, was afraid of doing serious damage. I finally sent it to Briley and Cliff removed it with no damage to barrel or choke for a reasonable price. Satisfied me anyway.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I had the same problem with my wifes gun this past winter with thin wall chokes.

I had lubed the chokes and left them in for three weeks.

I finally got it out (soaked in break free and kept working it), but now we always remove the chokes at the end of the day.

I did notice a mosture buildup below the thread area when I removed the choke...

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I had the same problem with my wifes gun this past winter with thin wall chokes.

I had lubed the chokes and left them in for three weeks.

I finally got it out (soaked in break free and kept working it), but now we always remove the chokes at the end of the day.

I did notice a mosture buildup below the thread area when I removed the choke...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My son had the same problem with a Briley choke tube in his 682. We tried several methods mentioned on this thread. Here is my recommendation. Take the gun to a competent gunsmith. He will heat the barrel/choke area and using a good choke wrench; will allow the choke to be removed. My son tried soaking the barrel/ choke area with no success. Pay the money to have this problem corrected. I would send the barrel to Briley if all else fails. They assured me that they could remove the choke. However, using the heat the choke was removed. Good luck. Ed

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My son had the same problem with a Briley choke tube in his 682. We tried several methods mentioned on this thread. Here is my recommendation. Take the gun to a competent gunsmith. He will heat the barrel/choke area and using a good choke wrench; will allow the choke to be removed. My son tried soaking the barrel/ choke area with no success. Pay the money to have this problem corrected. I would send the barrel to Briley if all else fails. They assured me that they could remove the choke. However, using the heat the choke was removed. Good luck. Ed

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I feel cheated that I've never had a stuck choke tube. Have left some in for many months and never had the slightest problem removing them. The fact that I always clean my barrels after shooting might have something to do with it but I dunno.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I feel cheated that I've never had a stuck choke tube. Have left some in for many months and never had the slightest problem removing them. The fact that I always clean my barrels after shooting might have something to do with it but I dunno.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Using a grease or anti-sieze, is you best bet for keeping your choke tubes removable. Oil seems to just burn out and gets things crusty.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Using a grease or anti-sieze, is you best bet for keeping your choke tubes removable. Oil seems to just burn out and gets things crusty.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Real funny anonomass..........modern guns don't need that much cleaning (chrome bores)....I've left many in for "months" and never had a problem...clean your barrel and your anonomA$$

·
Registered
723 Posts
Real funny anonomass..........modern guns don't need that much cleaning (chrome bores)....I've left many in for "months" and never had a problem...clean your barrel and your anonomA$$

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
If you have a good fitting wrench, clamp the wrench in a vise and hold the barrel on the wrench and turn the barrel. Don't put pressure on the rib, you might crush it. If you must use heat, avoid a torch (too much heat), use a hair dryer. Once you get it out, you'll remember never to do it again. Never store a gun with the tube tight, back it out a thread before putting it away.

Big Jack

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
If you have a good fitting wrench, clamp the wrench in a vise and hold the barrel on the wrench and turn the barrel. Don't put pressure on the rib, you might crush it. If you must use heat, avoid a torch (too much heat), use a hair dryer. Once you get it out, you'll remember never to do it again. Never store a gun with the tube tight, back it out a thread before putting it away.

Big Jack

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a previously hand-tightened Comp-N-Choke seize up in my Perazzi. No amount of careful leverage made it move. I emailed Comp-N-Choke for advice and they said soak the choke and barrel in a container of Penetrating Oil for several days. After five days in the oil it finally twisted loose. I made sure the level of the oil was higher than the tube inside the barrel. I was about to give up and visit a gunsmith when on the fifth day it finally loosened up with no damage to the choke or threads.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a previously hand-tightened Comp-N-Choke seize up in my Perazzi. No amount of careful leverage made it move. I emailed Comp-N-Choke for advice and they said soak the choke and barrel in a container of Penetrating Oil for several days. After five days in the oil it finally twisted loose. I made sure the level of the oil was higher than the tube inside the barrel. I was about to give up and visit a gunsmith when on the fifth day it finally loosened up with no damage to the choke or threads.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.