Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had some custom Comp N Choke tubes made,(sent my bbl and they match bore). They pattern great, Almost won a Helice tournament last week, 2nd place lol. First time using them. I ordered the gold ones to match my gold inlays and gold trigger. I was goin to get a large glass jar with lid and fill with some solvent? Any recommendations? Don’t want to leave in to long and effect the gold nitrate on them. I realize I’ll still have to brush them. Thank You TS.com

·
Supporting Vendor
5,838 Posts
Hoppe #9 is good stuff. I used to soak my revolver cylinders in it. #9 removed all the carbon and lead from the face of the cylinder.

Reactions: sdive2

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just had some custom Comp N Choke tubes made,(sent my bbl and they match bore). They pattern great, Almost won a Helice tournament last week, 2nd place lol. First time using them. I ordered the gold ones to match my gold inlays and gold trigger. I was goin to get a large glass jar with lid and fill with some solvent? Any recommendations? Don’t want to leave in to long and effect the gold nitrate on them. I realize I’ll still have to brush them. Thank You TS.com
I use plain ol’ mineral spirts. Put you chokes in the jar like you’re planning and, in an hour, or so the carbon will wipe off with a paper towel. No brushing needed.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Spray the inside of the choke tube with Rem oil or other oil. Put your brush into your electric drill and have at it. Done in15 seconds.
That's what I do and it works well.
Every now and then, I'll take my choke tubes in to the deep sink and clean them with Simple Green. Simple green cleans them up and rinses clean with hot water.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Break free CLP (probably any oil/CLP will do) and carbon wipes off if you keep up with the chokes. If you don't clean often, such as less than once a week, that tells me two things.

1) you are not shooting enough and 2) you need to shoot more.

Lots of good ways to keep your chokes clean.

Very nice finish in helice!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use SLIP 2000 that I order from Midway USA. Drop the chokes in for 15 to 20 minutes, wipe off with a soft cloth or paper towel. The cleaner also removes oil, so I lightly oil the inside and outside of the chokes after they’re dry. Amazing to watch chunks of wad material just fall off the chokes.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I soke the tubes in Reds red for 12 to 24 hours and hook up a 10 gage brush in my cordless drill, grab on and work it from both directions and then the outside I carefully brush with drill as well. Then clean my work bench :(

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I might get scorched for this, but when my tubes have a lot of plastic build up, I soak them in acetone for 10 minutes. The plastic will pretty much be dissolved. Then a quick brushing and wipe and done.
Disclaimer! I do this OUTSIDE away from any potential ignition source because acetone stinks and is very flammable!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just take the tube out and chuck a Tornado brush in my drill press and with a glove on, they do get hot, simply move the tube up and down over the brush as the drill press is turning. Hold on to it tightly, and don't run the press on a very high speed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As above, a jar of Slip 2000. Works aces, easy. Plunk them in, fish them out, they look like new... I made a neat little hook from hanger to get them out. My last two jars I ordered came with a wire thingy to do the same.
Mike B

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
I have good luck holding choke in gloved hand an just pushing a turbo brush back and forth thru the tube works with titanium, stainless steel, plain steel, and mullers. If I have a tube with slots or holes or muzzle brake that is carboned up I will soak it in old style No9, the good stuff! Then some brass brush and compressed air.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts