Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used Browning XS Skeet with 28 inch barrels,2 skeet chokes and 2 full chokes, all 4 are Browning Midas Grade Extended Chokes. I plan on using this gun for Sporting Clays and am thinking it would be good to have chokes in IC and Light Mod. Please let me know if cost is not relevant, what brand choke tube would you suggest. Remember forget the cost, which tube is the best choice. Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
There is a lot of hype provided by different choke tube manufacturers. Briley, Wrights, Angleport, Muller, Comp-n-Choke and several others make quality products. I will say that Comp-n-chokes seem to throw tighter patterns than you would expect from the stated constrictions. Although I have a couple, I would avoid ported chokes because they tend to pick up plastic fouling.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Fixed!!!!!!

Just shoot the damn thing!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Murphy, the first thing I would do with your new gun is make sure each barrel shoots to the same POI with the same choke tube, and if all your tubes shoot to the same POI in the same barrel. If they do, you are good to go. I've had good luck with Briley choke tubes. They will replace any you deem not acceptable.

I think IC and LM are too close if you are shooting a course with larger distance variations. Around me, I don't know of a course than cannot be shot with two LM chokes. Remember, in SC you are going for a break, not smoke. If the course I was shooting had a lot of 40-45 yard shots, I'd want a Mod, so I'd use LM and M.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
For value and performance, Carlson's Chokes. Had mostly all of them except Teague and Extreme. Not really much difference. When a shooter says that this particular brand of choke shoots a tighter pattern, there is a reason, tighter constriction is usually the culprit.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Your Midas grades are Brileys anyway...why not add a couple and actually have a matching choke set..mixed garbage looks dumb when mixed on a gun

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for thhe input, decided to go with what I have and ode red 2 IC and 1 L Mod Midas. Now the tough part, point it right, they'll break point it wrong they won't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts