Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I know nothing about hunting, but enjoy it. What chokes are good for Browning Invector 20 gauge for hunting bird eg.- quail, dove, wood cock and rabbit? This would be non preserve hunting if that makes any difference. Any other suggestions are always welcome such as shell choice and shot size. Thanks, Mike Sharkey, DC

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
For the small birds you mentioned, I.C. or skeet with 7\8oz. # 7&1\2 or 8s should be good up to about 25-- 30yds. 2nd. bbl. Mod. O.K. to 40yds. Cotton tails Mod. with #6 is a good all around choice 7\8 or 1oz, if you hunt in heavy brush for rabbits you may want to go to #5s.--Happy Hunting--Ross Puls

·
Registered
647 Posts
The combination of improved cylinder and modified have worked great for me. Number 7.5 shot works for all the game you mentioned.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
If I were to buy a 20 ga O/U for the field, I would screw in LM and IM and go hunt.

If hunting with an auto, these would be the two chokes for it.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
My first "real" shotgun was a Model 12 20 ga with a 26" barrel and IC choke that I got on my 12th birthday. I lived on a farm and hunted everything with that gun except big game. I killed a ton of quail, rabbits and squirrels by just changing the size shot to suit. Also jump shot ducks along the creek and the Shenandoah river which ran along the edge of our farm with it. We always had excellent bird dogs and bird populations were abundant in the '50s and '60s.

·
Premium Member
11,862 Posts
Modified is always a good choice for hunting.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
IC with # 8s for preserve shooting over dogs. Modified 71/2 for for rabbits. Combo of IC and MOD. is the standard for a good reason - it works well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.