Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A f friend of mine gave a flat of Win. 9 shot 12 gq. 1180 vol. that he got by mistake he ordered 6 shot nd got 9. I shoot 7 .5 & 8 . with my Rem, 1187 with a 28" barrel using a IM choke my question is what choke should I use with the 9 shot . would it be like shooting dirt at the birds.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,763 Posts
A f friend of mine gave a flat of Win. 9 shot 12 gq. 1180 vol. that he got by mistake he ordered 6 shot nd got 9. I shoot 7 .5 & 8 . with my Rem, 1187 with a 28" barrel using a IM choke my question is what choke should I use with the 9 shot . would it be like shooting dirt at the birds.
Rich,

If you’re only shooting 16 yards for Trap, use the same choke you were using when shooting 7.5’s or 8’s. You said IM, so use that.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
No need to change your chokes. Just shoot the #9's in practice is all. If you don't know what shot size your using. I'm sure your average will not change. If you think about it? Well, just don't think about it. LOL. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You normally shoot 1 oz with 7 1/2 and 8s?

The 1180 f/s velocity sounds like the 9s are 1 oz loads.

Just try a practice round with the IM choke with the 9s. If you like the breaks no change needed. If not adjust accordingly.

Jason

·
Registered
335 Posts
I/C....gives you room for error....I shoot it all the way to the 22..in my k-80 un-single....works great..
In reality...use what ever you want...it’s a head game anyway..

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
i know someone who told me he was going to start using an IC choke cause the bigger patter will get him more birds, guess that is your room for error and now he is lucky if he shoots an 18 after always shooting mid 20s

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I/C....gives you room for error....I shoot it all the way to the 22..in my k-80 un-single....works great..
In reality...use what ever you want...it’s a head game anyway..
Room for error?
He meant it gave room for error in the center of the pattern. He just doesn't want to be a perfectionist and hit them all.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I patterned an IC choke at 30 yards and the pattern covered an entire pattet and had holes that a target could get through top to bottom.
I witnessed a talented young shooter hit 6 out of 50 trap targets using IC. The next time he had a full and won a trophy hitting 46 of 50.
Henry

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,763 Posts
I patterned an IC choke at 30 yards and the pattern covered an entire pattet and had holes that a target could get through top to bottom.
I witnessed a talented young shooter hit 6 out of 50 trap targets using IC. The next time he had a full and won a trophy hitting 46 of 50.
Henry
That’s because his pattern wasn’t large enough with the IC to give him enough room for error. I use a Skeet choke from 23, and when I’m on, I smoke ‘em.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts