Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unable to shoot or pattern at this time, so my question is theoretical.

I have 2 barrels marked FULL choke. ....One barrel has .034" constriction, other barrel has .040" constriction. ...Both have same bore diameter & length.

Will a .006" difference in constriction have a significant affect on pattern (assuming same gun, distance & loads) ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

I have 2 barrels marked FULL choke. ....One barrel has .034" constriction, other barrel has .040" constriction. ...Both have same bore diameter & length.

Will a .006" difference in constriction have a significant affect on pattern (assuming same gun, distance & loads) ?

Thanks!
Maybe.
Only one way I know to tell, and then only for the loads tested.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So many factors play into this but i see what you’re going for. Assuming all things exactly the same except for .006 constriction differential I think you you would see very minimal difference at 40 Yards. Having .034 of an inch constriction will deliver more than enough of a dense pattern, approximately 70 percent of a shell's total pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards. Don’t overthink chokes. In my opinion most of the time when you miss a target it’s not going to be by an inch or 2 it’s going to be by feet.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts

Thanks!
Probably not enough difference that one will gain or cost you a target over the other.

You will need to shoot alot of patterns (correctly) to prove the deficiency in one over the other unless an underlying circumstance is present.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Reactions: cwtech and hbar314
1 - 8 of 8 Posts