Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any factual, definitive proof that one brand of choke patterns better than another brand. Are aftermarket chokes clearly better than factory? Other than a slight weight savings, do fixed choke barrels pattern better than non-fixed barrels? Hundreds of posts--no answers. Ford vs Chevy thing? Any chance that there might be some hype involved?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there any factual, definitive proof that one brand of choke patterns better than another brand. Are aftermarket chokes clearly better than factory? Other than a slight weight savings, do fixed choke barrels pattern better than non-fixed barrels? Hundreds of posts--no answers. Ford vs Chevy thing? Any chance that there might be some hype involved?
Every shooter with a pocket full of those stupid things and a tool will have his preference. And there are a few of us who had his favorite gun Poly-Choked. So look up Poly-Choke and see if they're still in business. I like being able to bust a dove trying to land on me with Imp Cyl and then spinning her up to X-Full and getting a couple more at 50 yards and gittin' smaller and smaller as they go. That's not something you can do with your pocket full of chokes.

·
Banned
41 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means, but I like being able to change out chokes depending on what I plan to do (ie. hunting quail over a dog, pass shooting, turkey choke in the spring, etc.).

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
No. The factual definitive proof pretty much shows the exact opposite, that pretty much constriction is constriction.

If you want more than that, you need bore matched chokes that are tuned to wring the last couple percentage points out of one specific load, or blindly swap out choke after choke until you happen to stumble on the same basic result, the former will prob be cheaper.

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
When patterning it helps to have a specific thing or question to answer.
The question asked.
Is one brand better than the other?
First you must define better.
To me better means a higher pattern percentages.
Using the method of counting pellets inside of a 30" circle and comparing one brand of choke to another the answer is NO .
The better patterns come from premium shells.
Henry

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
When patterning it helps to have a specific thing or question to answer.
The question asked.
Is one brand better than the other?
First you must define better.
To me better means a higher pattern percentages.
Using the method of counting pellets inside of a 30" circle and comparing one brand of choke to another the answer is NO .
The better patterns come from premium shells.
Henry
This.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Pattern percentages are fun to count and look at by IMO have little to do with breaking a target. If the name of the game was putting 100% of you pellets in a 30% circle, then yes, relentless patterning would be beneficial.

But the name of the game is shooting 100 straight. And the more birds you can smoke ball the more likely you are at achieving that 100 straight. My personal experience is that fixed choke guns hit harder. The only tubed guns I've owned that hit as hard as the fixed choked guns were Briley tubed with a Wilkinson stamp.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I owned a Beretta 682 with 28” choke tubed barrels that I bought a set of Pure Gold choke tubes for, they had extremely hot cores. I could break targets with authority at 40 yards with a 0. Made the mistake of pricing it to a friend and he took me up on the deal, been trying to buy it back every since. Each gun I have owned all patterned differently. JMO.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Well, if I wait another few months to clean my shotgun, I just might have the magical and desired fixed full choke that is mentioned.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have heard--cant remember where-- that buying fixed choked barrels and then having Briley do thin walls was the best if you really needed (wanted) choke tubes. What does Wilkinson (and others) do to barrels to 'make them better'? By better I assume we're talking about more even, consistent patterns.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Without defining "better" - would be impossible to agree upon something.
More even? Tighter pattern? Velocity?

Another moment - when analyzing such things everything has to be considered/counted: bore, cartridge, conditions (temp, etc). Without accounting for everything - does not make sense to compare chokes, it's a part of the system.

As I understand "Other than a slight weight savings" is actually the biggest factor in a dispute fixedVSremovable. Fixed choke gun moves differently - does not have extra mass at the end of the barrel.

Can be longer. We want longer barrels for sight picture and gun dynamics (not mass, but moment of inertia). The longer - the better. At the same time we have some limitation/requirements on a gun/barrel weight (mass) and balance. And we have a metallurgy/technology in between.

Removable chokes give "flexibility" needed for some games without huge investments (sporting clays, hunting, etc).
If game does not call for a different constrictions in different situations - fixed chokes and longer barrel is preferable (with a given gun dynamics). Many olympic trap shooter shoot fixed chokes... Nothing to change, nothing to play with and they need excellent gun dynamics, they move fast and a lot.

Look at modern international skeet guns: from 26" short stubs they turned into 30" gun - technology allows to have same gun dynamics with longer barrel. And ppl move toward 30" in international skeet. Many guys shoot fixed choke guns.

I shot only 4 different types of chokes: flush-factory, some external color coded, some external not color coded. 2-3 brands.
The biggest factor for me: how easy is it to check if choke is screwed in properly. And mass - less is better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Drew, thank you for your post. I think that the post by Timb99 answered most of my questions; and suspicions. Ultimately the question is, will I gain a bird by using expensive chokes or could I lose a bird by using 'cheap' chokes. Sounds like the answer is a definite 'probably not'

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Lots of testing shows that no, one brand is not superior to others. Except Neil Winston found that all else equal, the brand "Kick's Smoke" tended to pattern a smidge tighter than others.

Reactions: sandcountyalmanac

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Drew, thank you for your post. I think that the post by Timb99 answered most of my questions; and suspicions. Ultimately the question is, will I gain a bird by using expensive chokes or could I lose a bird by using 'cheap' chokes. Sounds like the answer is a definite 'probably not'
Probably the thing you need to check is not "Pattern Density" but "Point of Impact" when using the so-called cheap choke tubes.

If there is a fault with cheap chokes it's that they don't shoot straight. Not that they don't pattern well.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts