Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shot size part of the question is secondary...but I would like to know what choke is most used for 16 yard trap...?

For some reason I seem to shoot best with a full choke...

The shot I've been using lately is 1 1/8 oz. #8 1200 fps. ....was shooting #7 1/2

Thanks ..Stan

·
Registered
696 Posts
Belive it or not I prefer an extra full choke for 16 yds with 1 1/8 of # 8 shot. I have shot several 98 s and a couple 99's too. I use a IM for the first bird on doubles. Woody

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I've shot with Imp Cyl from the 16 and normally smoke em. I've been told that I shoot fast though. I have tried all the chokes and believe modified should be great for most shooters. Jackie B.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A friend recently took one of Leo's classes. He stated Leo said every choke is good as long as it is full. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
At 16 yards it really doesn't matter -- anything between full and extra full will do :p

But seriously, on average there's only about a 1-3/4" difference in pattern diameter between a modified and an extra full choke at 36 yards. So, unless you're slow on the trigger and let the bird get way out there... it really doesn't matter very much for singles (unless you frequently miss by less than 7/8" which, by the way, you don't).

On the other hand, show me someone doing really well at 25-27 yard handicap and I'll show you someone with a lot of constriction.

These are the facts, accept them or not.

Now get ready for the rebuttal from blowhards who haven't carefully patterned 5 shotguns in their entire lives.

-Gary

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.