Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have recently taken up trap, and had a couple nice rounds of sporting clays, which I'd like to do more.

I'm of the "buy nice things that you don't have to replace later" school of thought.

Have shot the A400 Sporting a bunch and it's the incumbent choice for me to buy. However, it just doesn't *stir* me even though I shoot well with it. There's a kind of RoboCop aspect to it that makes me think it will feel dated in 10 years.

Have also shot the 686 Silver Pigeon I Sporting, which I liked a lot, but which also lacked a certain Je Ne Sais Quoi. I guess the thing about it is that it didn't strike me as being especially nice, just kind of a basic, quality gun.

In most products one can think of a value graph that has an x-axis of price and a y-axis of, qualitatively, "excellence". There's usually a point at which the value curve kinks sharply to the right, meaning that there's diminishing marginal returns to spending more beyond that point, i.e. that spending a lot more gets you only a little more "excellence". I'm generally interested in purchasing just shy of that point if possible.

I'm looking for something classic, that I could keep forever and give to my heirs, without crazy engraving or "best gun" trappings but beautiful in a functional way and with very high-quality function.

Would it be crazy to buy something like one of the used Perazzis kicking around on the FS forum for my first gun with an eye toward accomplishing this?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Buy the best you can afford. In the long run you will save money. Buying a Perazzi or one of the other high dollar guns will set you up for a long time. Not only are parts available if needed all over the country, re-sale will be better if you decide to upgrade.

Good luck in your quest.

Ken

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've gone through 3 shotguns over the three seasons I've been shooting trap: A CZ Redhead to make sure I really liked the sport before committing dollars, a used Caesar Guerini Summit Limited that came at an attractive price, and a new DT-11 (quite heavy) for "permanence" without engraving. So, sort of the same path you embark on.

My advice is simple - look at quality shotguns you like the look of and that come up the way you want your shotgun to . . . that's what you want anyhow. When it comes to used firearms, there's always a reason they are sold. If the truth were known, some portion of them would be purchased again used, and some portion would never be. If you can tell the difference, go for one you like. If you can't, don't.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
quit worrying about Je ne what the hell...you either want to play or you want to compete and hopefully win...missing sucks in any case...a Browning or Beretta is a great tool of the trade when mixed with a healthy dose of practice...for shooting both I really like a standard flat rib/ parallel comb over-under like the XS Special

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Shotguns are really a personal preference what seams good for one shooter may be lousy for another ,a lot of different models,types and makers out there,the best way is try them out and see what feels good to you.
"The grand" in August in sparta il is a great way to try and find what you like,so is asking those that shoot at your club if you could try there gun,most wont mind.Also there is a gun club in Indiana that you can try several different guns that they sell to see if you like them. http://www.indianagunclub.com/

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Agree with Bill Grill. Decide on what you want and find a nice used one. Guns depreciate like anything else. Even if you decide on a Perazzi, Krieghoff, Kolar etc. ; a used one has taken a huge depreciation hit. Good luck in your search. Ed

·
Registered
105 Posts
About 90% of the shooters where I shoot trap use one model of Browning or another. A few shoot Krieghoffs.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
If you get relatively good at either of the games, you'll end up with a dedicated gun for each. That said, it's a lot easier to shoot trap with a dedicated sporting gun than it is to shoot challenging course sporting clays with a dedicated trap gun.

·
Registered
319 Posts
buy a used one save money easier to resell when you move on. Browning or Beretta would be my choice, easy resale! Bill
+1, I'm a 6 mouth new to shotguns guy currently shooting a Browning 725 Citori Sporting. Shot as high as a 24 at trap while I usually and in the low 20s for the few rounds I've shot. Gun seems to be fine for sporting clays also.

I may someday get dedicated guns for the various clay disciplines but don't feel the need to upgrade until I am a better shot and have acquired more knowledge of the various clays sports.

I do however look at the used K and P guns that are for sale.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Jenna said what?

The forever shotgun you speak of is different for each person, the only way you will know you have found it is through working with a bunch of different guns as your shooting skill evolves. Nothing says dork like a newbie showing up with a $15K shotgun that he can't shot for crap.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I started with an 870 Express, moved up to an A400 Xcel Parallel Target, and now I've a Ljutic. The A400 will definitely last a while because its built well and so will the SP1. A used Perazzi or Krieghoff would also be a good choice but so would a used Blaser or Caesar Guerini. The CG's look really good and are built solidly.

A Browning O/U will last forever as well and will cost less than a P or K gun. My XT seems remarkably solid. Also my coach has shot a Browning O/U since the late 60's or early 70's and is still running 25's with it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts