Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever realized that, as a husband and father, you are in charge of the mainenance and repair of everything that anyone in your household owns or uses? Your wife says, "The car won't start" or, "There is something wrong with the washing machine (or dryer, or refrigerator or toilet", etc..). These instantly become "your problem". Over the years, you have acquired the tools and just enough expertise to make the resolution of these system failures your job.

These problems ALWAYS are complicated by the need to make the needed repairs instantly. They have to get to work, or be at their appoinment in a few minutes, etc.. The worst part is that you have nothing to hide behind. After all, that's why you get paid the big bucks - to be prepared for ANY emergency that a wife and daughter(s) can throw at you. If you can't and they miss their nail appointment or the hairdresser, your life will be an even greater hell.

This is why you need to anticipate system failures. You must drive each of their cars periodically and address that faint but funny noise. You must also do the laundry and use the dishwasher from time to time to make certain that they too are in proper working order. Otherwise whatever failure occurs is YOUR fault. Regardless, it will be anyway!

How come the same is not true if you run out of toilet paper or there are no dry towels when you step out of the shower or some other real catastrophe? Who can you blame or retaliate against if dinner is late; perhaps very late?

Best to keep your head down and just keep working on whatever they throw at you.

·
Molon Labe
11,992 Posts
I know what you mean. I dread when my phone rings and it is my wife calling me, the only time she does is when something is broken or not working

·
Registered
719 Posts
Got to learn to make the repair job or fix much more complicated and time consuming than it really is. Don't just tighten the loose screw and say"there all fixed". Take time, make it seem like you really had to bust your ass to get this thing working again.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ntgr8,

Good point. Some years ago my wife nagged me in to installing recessed lights in the living room ceiling. It was the middle of hunting season so I had to figure out how to do it so it didn't muck up my hunting. I discovered that you need some uncommon tools and a line of bs to make it work. I used a plumb bob and a stud finder (with blinking lights). Also, you must either mumble or curse copiously. This was enough to get to the end of the season without missing a day.

However, when her car won't start and she is having a "nail emergency", this definitely doesn't work!

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
My wife, like most women, is not mechanically inclined. So as a project, I put together a binder titled "Know Your Home" where I have a pictorial lesson on how to troubleshoot the plumbing, heating & A/C and electrical systems at home. I've kept it simple. The back cover has the name of our plumber, HVAC, and electrician. When I do these things myself, I make sure she is with me, explaining to her why I'm doing certain things so she understands the reason for them. You'll be surprised at what that has done. Maybe a little science background is helpful. She was a nurse before I married her. Chichay

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chicay,

There is no interest on her partm and why should there be? She has a live-in maintenance man who costs nothing. That's why I have devised a nuber ofm techniques to extricate myself fom or delay maintenance services until a time convenient to me!

The one that pushed me over the edge was the "nail emergency".

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
birdogs,

I understand what you're saying. Not undertaking something because they do not know how, versus, because they do not want to, are certainly two different things!

Chichay

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,701 Posts
I have found that a trip to the hardware store has helped the attitude of the chief maintenance officer and his wife. It is coincidental that the hardware store and the tap club are on the same side of town. The first hardware store rarely has what is needed.

·
Molon Labe
11,992 Posts
My problem is I am too diversified, I have been in the HVAC bidness for about 40 years, and that trade does it all heating, cooling, cleaning, humidifying, and dehumidifying the air, plumbing the refrigerant, and condensate drain, the electrical, and to top it off I have a full blown sheet metal shop, machine shop welding shop, and wood working shop

So I get the joy of fixing anything that comes along, health permitting, arthritis has taken a hard toll on my old carcass, too much of I can lift the 500 lb compressor in my younger years

Wish I would have listened to the old times when they told me I would pay for doing that stuff later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts