Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year I got a Browning Citori 725 Trap. I love the gun but I've been dealing with cheek slap. It gets pretty painful after about the 3rd round or so and I know I would shoot much better if I could get rid of it. The gun doesn't have an adjustable recoil pad and I'm wondering if adding one would solve my issue? I do notice that when I mount the gun the recoil pad is too high on my shoulder but it has to be that way to get the rib lined up with my eye. I'm thinking that's what's causing it. Would like to hear everyone's opinion.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Obviously, the gun doesn't fit.

Your problem cannot be diagnosed over the internet, irregardless of what you read here. If you don't have the experience/knowledge to fix the problem yourself (and that's what it sounds like), use a QUALIFIED gun-fitter to find the problem and then modify the stock to fit you.

It's possible that such things as an adjustable comb, adjustable butt plate, etc. can be used to fix your problem, but without the advise of someone who knows what they are talking about, you are just wasting time and money.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Caution Sir. Your gun should not beat you up or hurt you. I'm just a sophomore at this but I have learned a lot. My education has come from a bunch of professional help. (I have not seen a Psychiatrist yet) I wish someone would have grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and asked some questions. Such as: How many times have you shot that gun this year? My answer would have been about 25,000 times. My injuries have included but are not limited to a broken shoulder and a swollen face. I looked like Rocky after my first registered targets. All that said, go see a professional fitter quick.

The folks above have given great advice and I do know the following:
You have a reasonably heavy gun and this is good to accept the recoil. The difference between my 7 lbs Citori and my 9.5 lbs 725 pro trap is dramatic. 700 shots in a day causes no pain and my shoulder feels like new in the morning. I can shoot all day now because my gun fits. A through through pad adjuster and an adjustable comb are mandatory. I like the kick-eez pads. I prefer this one and it helped a buddy whose face was being beaten up by his gun. Keep in mind you are holding a mini cannon. Pull that thing in tight and hold it tight. A female Hall of Famer and I just got done working on how to hard to pull that gun in. Her answer was real darn tight and with both hands.

Modified Trap Recoil Pad | KICK-EEZ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm located in Wisconsin. The wausau area. Does anyone know of a good gun fitter around my area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm located in Wisconsin. The wausau area. Does anyone know of a good gun fitter around my area?
Go see Doug Breaker in Minnesota at Doug's Gunsmith Shop. The guy is a genius gunsmith that used to work for Kolar and can fix anything.

As for your original post, trap shooting should not be a highly painful event for you ever, particularly at only 3 rounds. I would suggest that you have your recoil issues taken care of pretty quickly or you may find yourself eventually loosing whatever enjoyment you have for the sport.

Also, Brownings can kick like a mule. I won't use them ever just for that reason, but that's just me. I use a MX-6 that has a G2 recoil system and there is no recoil at all, just a slight push straight backwards every time I shoot.

I agree entirely with ClayPoppy though. Go and see someone knowledgeable about custom gun fitting.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Go see Doug Breaker in Minnesota at Doug's Gunsmith Shop. The guy is a genius gunsmith that used to work for Kolar and can fix anything.
There is a HUGE difference between a gunsmith and a gun-fitter.

No insults intended for Mr. Breaker as I do not know the gentleman.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a HUGE difference between a gunsmith and a gun-fitter.

No insults intended for Mr. Breaker as I do not know the gentleman.
None taken. Doug does custom fitting for people as well along with custom stocks. Matter of fact he's done fitting for people for 25 years lol.

Doug is actually one of the few people I will let touch my Perazzi.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Went through same thing you are experiencing, took a 3 hour drive to doug braker. Spent a couple hours with him and he cut a tick off my stock, installed a Jones adjustable with a new kick eez pad and been having a pain free experience ever since. He is an excellent fitter as well as doing beautiful work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts