Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. So I got a new shotgun a few months ago and it's a Brownig Citori 725 trap. I really like the gun a lot and I am shooting very well with it, however I'm noticing I'm getting a lot of cheek slap with the gun and after about 2 rounds it starts to hurt pretty bad. I'm guessing the gun does not fit me properly and that's why this is happening. The gun is a non adjustable stock so I'm thinking i need to get a adjustable stock for it to correct this. This is not something I have done before and I was wondering how would I go about this? Is this something I can purchase for the gun or does the current stock have to be modified? Maybe I'm just holding the gun wrong? Looking for advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was having similar issues so I went to walmart and got some stuff called moleskin. It's in the foot care isle by pharmacy at walmart. Has a self adhesive on it and comes in 3x4 strips. It Helped me out .

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like a stock fitting issue. Is the stock to long? Most people say you should have about 1" between your nose and thumb. Also are you holding your cheek tight to the comb of the stock?
Are the shells you are using too hot? If you don't reload try using some 1 oz Rem. Gun Clubs that are rated a 1150. They hit hard from the 16 yard line and you don't get the heavy recoil.
That's a great gun, enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
20,641 Posts
I had a gun that I had shot several 10's of thousands of rounds through suddenly start raising a cherry on my cheek, simply because I had reinstalled a pitch spacer upside down after refinishing the stock....

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Just for you Rosey. Can't stand the two asshats but this is a great video on pitch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will measure for length tomorrow and see how much length between my nose and thumb. I will also check pitch. If the pitch is the issue I'm guessing there is something I can get to correct that?

·
Registered
917 Posts
(grntitan) Hit the nail on the head.
Look at his video, search this site for "pitch" related posts, study them carefully and you'll find your solution.

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
works and holds up good - I put a little remoil on it and let it sit about 15 minutes and with stock removed I use hot water dish rag and elbow grease to remove residue. Sometimes it comes off easier than other times.

Used on a oil finish wood stock and gloss finish stock - so far no effect on finishes

you can also take some fine sandpaper and lightly sand edges to round edges - before install

·
Registered
344 Posts
Used on a oil finish wood stock and gloss finish stock - so far no effect on finishes
Thanks for the info. I'm currently taking a 1/8" cheek eez and cutting it down to 2" wide strip which I lay on top of my comb. The material that you are using is already the right width for my purpose and is also less expensive than the cheek eez.....I'll order a roll of it.

·
Banned
940 Posts
If you take your finger and put it to your cheek and tilt your head down you will feel added pressure. Hold your head level and take the gun to your cheek and pull the gun in hard to your shoulder. The finger tip was from Wenig and pulling the gun in hard was from a nationally known shooting clinic.
iwas breaking my cheek open pretty good too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
slap comes from pitch. before you go buying or cutting, loosen the butt pad and slip quarters in the bottom. why in the bottom, because the barrel is rising when slapping. if the barrel was moving down when you shoot you would put the quarter in the top. one at a time, as many as five to see if it really is pitch

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
If the comb is biting your cheek you want to add the spacers to the heel or top of the recoil pad.
The gun is rotating up into your cheek because the toe or bottom of the recoil pad is making good contact and the top of the pad is away from your shoulder.

The Heel or top of the recoil pad is the portion must make firm contact.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts