Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I picked up a Browning Citori CXT and just started using it this year. I’ve only shot it a couple times so far but it’s giving me horrible cheek slap and I’m getting a bruise. I know this has been discussed on here before but I want to know what are some things to look for that can cause this? What has worked for you? It seems that the pitch may be the culprit from what I’ve been reading but it seems other things can also play a role. Let me know what to check. Thanks!

· Banned
1,793 Posts
Cheek slap caused by pitch is an internet myth.

As said above...WELD the cheek to the stock. If you can't WELD your cheek to the stock...bone on wood...and still see a proper sight picture, your comb is too low. Most likely, it's too low now, causing you to use light pressure, giving the comb a running start to smack you.

· Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Usually cheek slap is caused by shooting a stock that needs more off-set.
Example
You need 3/8" and the stock is straight and has none.
In order to look down the rib you must put your face on the comb and lean your head over.
This unnatural mount would make the recoil go into your face and not the shoulder.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually cheek slap is caused by shooting a stock that needs more off-set.
Example
You need 3/8" and the stock is straight and has none.
In order to look down the rib you must put your face on the comb and lean your head over.
This unnatural mount would make the recoil go into your face and not the shoulder.
So basically what your saying is the comb of the gun has to move to the right further?

· Registered
396 Posts
Hey guys I picked up a Browning Citori CXT and just started using it this year. I’ve only shot it a couple times so far but it’s giving me horrible cheek slap and I’m getting a bruise. I know this has been discussed on here before but I want to know what are some things to look for that can cause this? What has worked for you? It seems that the pitch may be the culprit from what I’ve been reading but it seems other things can also play a role. Let me know what to check. Thanks!
The answer to the problem is to find and install a Griggs Recoil Redirector.

· Registered
7,537 Posts
Pitch is a internet myth. What BS. Cheek weld or not gun should not recoil up into your face. To try changing the pitch just put match stick or a coin between pad and stock, Look at someone’s fitted stock notice spacers that have angle to them, that’s their purpose is to change pitch. You may need a stock man to look at your problem.

if you don’t fix it you probably will stop shooting or be looking for a different gun.

Don

· Registered
2,615 Posts
I am not going to try and conduct a physics class here but will just try and briefly describe what "recoil" is all about. We all know that actions produce equal and opposite reactions. But with firearms, it is not just a rearward motion. there is also an angular motion induced due to the buttstock being lower than the barrel - So the interface of a shooters shoulder and that stock becomes a pivot point and will create this angular motion out of or in addition to the rearward motion created by firing the gun. If everything lines up straight with the firing point, very little angular motion will be induced and the recoil will be rearward into the shoulder. This is why many of the modern rifles feature straight stock designs (think AR). The Ljutic Space Gun was an in-line target shogun and a couple of his other designs were close.

So the focus (on controlling the angular motion) becomes the interface between your shoulder and that buttstock (and your head / face) Sometimes, the toe of the recoil pad will hit your shoulder chest area first and will really assist the angular motion. This is why folks will talk about the need to change the "pitch". Sometimes there is a need to add an adjustable buttplate so "toe out" can be provided. This is all about getting that buttstock to fit into your shoulder pocket evenly. Those concave recoil pads are not for every gun or every shooter.

As stated by Ram Rod, a shooters stance or pose and the way a shooter mounts the gun, neck length, facial configuration can all contribute to increased angular motion and why comb/stock offset can mitigate at least some of this.

Keeping a solid cheek weld is not possible if the gun is rotating into the shooters face - subconsciously a shooter is going to try and get his face out of the way and then a bad situation is going to get worse as the gun now has a running start. This is why people install cheek pads and soft combs. They were unable to adjust their stock for a better fit and so they just put a buffer between the comb and their face.

I am including a pic of one of my guns to illustrate toe out and offset - PS -
Footwear Car alarm Arm Plant Automotive tire
this is a rocker pad

· Registered
278 Posts
The Berlet and Dysinger video is spot on. Pitch is certainly not an internet myth, and will absolutely influence the way a gun delivers recoil. I had a terrible time since I was a kid with getting kicked in the face, and few people put their face on a stock tighter than I do. Brownings out of the box did the very same thing to me. I had a KX-5 with a factory stock that would bruise my face. That same stock fit to me by a competent gun fitter eliminated the problem. Pitch is one element of fit, and I would encourage you to find someone who understands overall gun fit that can help you out.

· Banned
1,793 Posts
Maybe you fellas can help me. I hit myself in the knee with my bowling ball on the backswing. I'm not interested in learning proper swing technique ... I'm more interested in what kind of knee pad to wear so it doesn't hurt so much.

I made custom stocks for 40 years; including all of my own. Every single one of my shotguns has identical pitch. My 26" barreled, 6lb ,20 ga SxS grouse gun has exactly the same pitch as my 34" , 10lb,12ga SBT and I have never had a sore cheek in those 40 years.

People suggesting pitch solves cheek slap, rather than being just a bandaid to overcome poor gun fit, are the same people who would say adjusting your trigger back and forth will change the length of pull.

Go back and read post #18.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.