Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to remove a cheek-eez stick on pad? The stock has a gloss finish.
I have heard lighter fluid but not sure about that. Maybe some penetrating oil?

Thanks ~ Mich

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
It was a lot of effort for me to remove it. I used my thumbs to peel it loose and then WD40 and a rag; there must be an easier way.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Agree with Miketmx peel off what you can and then spray on WD40. What can be easier. Lighter fluid also works well, I would not put it on an oil finish.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I used a lot of finger rubbing and WD40 getting one off a Browning Citori with a gloss finish. There has to be a better way but mine is off and not a mark on the finish. Patience works and I learned cussing at it did little to speed up the process. I will never put another one on any gun.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is response from cheek-eez after posing that question. Cigarette lighter fluid is recommended. You can also get products from Walmart for label, sticker and adhesive remover, look for Un-do, Oops or Goof Off. Goof Off on Lowes shelves is recommended for removing adhesive and glue, asphalt & tar or dried Latex paint. If you use some other product stronger than alcohol, you should test it on the bluing under the barrel in an inconspicuous spot; likewise on gunstock finishes. The Un-Do web site will give you good information about their product. Bluing is generally quite resistant and hard to damage.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I just removed a 1/4" cheek eez yesterday for a customer to install an adjustable comb. It took over an hour with the heat gun and my fingers to remove the thick part so I can get down to the glue closest to the stock. Then it took almost a half an hour to finally get the glue off. I used heat, goof off and old english furniture polish until it was clean. There was no easy way to remove this product, just old fashioned muscle power and being determined did the job.. Joe

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Just removed mine on a nice gun...hair dryer (lower setting), alcohol, WD-40, and elbow grease---perfect results!

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
They are hard to remove but work great while they're on there-especially if you don't have a very fleshy cheek. I just removed a Meadows stick on comb (same material as kick-eez). I had it on there for 5 years and it was getting a little ragged, so I took it off and put a new one on. Lighter fluid and fingers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts