Trapshooters Forum banner

Cheddite primers

3947 58
From time to time in the past, reloaders have stated they have had primer piercing problems along with firing pin erosion through the use of cheddite primers. I imagine many more shooters are using these primers today. What is the current consensus? Is this still a problem or has the manufacturer of these primers changed their specs? As desperate as I am for a supply of primers I don't want to damage my guns.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
A new firing pin is not a huge cost, and if the alternative is not shooting, or buying factory loads you have to figure out whats more important to you.
The other option is to seek out Nobel Sport 688 or 686 209 size primers. Havent heard of anyone seeing piercing with them. They are available, but not as widely as Cheddite's.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I shoot about 10,000 targets per year with my K80. I used Cheddite primers for a season and when I took my gun to K at the grand for an annual, they specifically asked what I was using for primers because everything was more worn than usual. I stopped using Cheddite's after that. Not worth the risk to me :)
What exactly was " everything" ?

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
I've shot more Cheddites than I'd care to count. None pierced in my 725 lower barrel, and two with minor breaching in my BT-99 GC. No appreciable wear to that pin.

You'll never be able to find a consensus - guns are different, hulls are different in terms of seating depth, pins in some guns have different lengths due to aftermarket changes. Just too many variables to say anything is perfect, or a total disaster waiting to happen. Grab some Cheddites, load up some of your hulls and shoot them in your gun. Just observe the primers as you remove the hulls. If you see sooty ones, there's something that your combination doesn't like. If you run lots of them without issues, you know you're good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My Kolar pierced cheddite primers. About 1-2 per hundred or so. I shortened the firing pin about .010" and have zero problems since. My firing pin indented the primer about .050" before I shortened it. Seemed a bit excessive as compared to some other guns that did not Pierce. One of my squad mates shoots a gun that only dented them about .020" and has reliable ignition.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
Krieghoff K-80 standard trap (32"/34" unsingle) & Beretta ASE-90 (29 1/2" tubed set)
914 Posts
About 25K Cheddite primers over the last 4 years, no problems in my Krieghoff’s, Berettas, or Browning. Best to get info first hand from current users, not from 10-15 years ago.
Just Trap

I guess I may be one of those people from 10-15 years ago, who actually had to replace 4 burned firing pins in my K-80 receivers due to Cheddite piercings. The first 5,000 Cheddites weren't that bad, but the 2nd 5,000 had 10X the number of piercings. So I just used them in other guns that weren't a problem in. I just went back to shooting Winchester 209's and gave up on Cheddites UNTIL just recently, when I couldn't find Winchester (or any of the other "name brand" primers.

I bought 5,000, but before loading too many of them, I loaded up 2 boxes (50 shells) and took them out to the club to see how they worked in my Krieghoff. Well, out of 50 shells, I had 15 that were pierced. So I decided to try another test. I changed my receiver and forearm iron and took 75 shells out to shoot and test to see IF anything changed; yes it did. This 2nd receiver only had 2 shells with pieced primer out of those 75, I've been marking on the boxes I loaded Cheddite shells with to specifically know that they AREN'T Winchesters. I recently went up to San Antonio for the sporting clays National Championships, and when I got there went to Krieghoff International's vendor building and talked with a few of their gunsmiths, and when I mentioned Cheddites, I could just see on their face where this conversation was going. Basically, like others stated, firing pins can be "shortened" (slightly) and I may look into doing that after I shoot up my supply of W209-primered reloads, but for now, NO Cheddites for me.

Just my amateur findings. Others may disagree with me; but I believe what I found to be true, at least for me.

Mike* (MH*)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just Trap

I guess I may be one of those people from 10-15 years ago, who actually had to replace 4 burned firing pins in my K-80 receivers due to Cheddite piercings. The first 5,000 Cheddites weren't that bad, but the 2nd 5,000 had 10X the number of piercings. So I just used them in other guns that weren't a problem in. I just went back to shooting Winchester 209's and gave up on Cheddites UNTIL just recently, when I couldn't find Winchester (or any of the other "name brand" primers.

I bought 5,000, but before loading too many of them, I loaded up 2 boxes (50 shells) and took them out to the club to see how they worked in my Krieghoff. Well, out of 50 shells, I had 15 that were pierced. So I decided to try another test. I changed my receiver and forearm iron and took 75 shells out to shoot and test to see IF anything changed; yes it did. This 2nd receiver only had 2 shells with pieced primer out of those 75, I've been marking on the boxes I loaded Cheddite shells with to specifically know that they AREN'T Winchesters. I recently went up to San Antonio for the sporting clays National Championships, and when I got there went to Krieghoff International's vendor building and talked with a few of their gunsmiths, and when I mentioned Cheddites, I could just see on their face where this conversation was going. Basically, like others stated, firing pins can be "shortened" (slightly) and I may look into doing that after I shoot up my supply of W209-primered reloads, but for now, NO Cheddites for me.

Just my amateur findings. Others may disagree with me; but I believe what I found to be true, at least for me.

Mike* (MH*)
Did the guys at Krieghoff mention anything about the pierced primers hurting the breechface or just the leading edge of the pins?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Did the guys at Krieghoff mention anything about the pierced primers hurting the breechface or just the leading edge of the pins?
It seems like they did mention extra wear on the breach face. They usually see my gun every year and they were surprised at how much extra wear they noticed, but I cannot recall exactly what they said (yelling in German mostly lol)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts