Trapshooters Forum banner

cheddite primers

4421 Views 23 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  RV4driver
Cant find much loading data for cheddite primers. Anyone know how they stack up power wise with federal, winchester and remington primers?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
For Alliant powders you could contact Ben Ammonette in Cust. Service at Alliant. I have his email address as [email protected] He has always been very helpful and knows a ton of stuff about reloading Alliant Powders. I use Red Dot and Cheddite primers and am completely happy with the combination. Plus I sure like the $40-60 saving per 5000 primers vs the high priced guys.

Walter

· Registered
141 Posts
I load Cheddite primers, Remington Hull, Down Range Wad, 17.0 grains of clays, with 1 oz. of #8's and had them ballistic tested by Down Range. They performed almost identical the the Winchester's that I had tested alongside them.

I love the savings!!

· Registered
3,995 Posts
They are not equivalent to any primer, so you should not be swapping components without data to support it. That said, if you start out with data having a low enough pressure, you can likely substitute the Cheddite primer for Winchesters, CCI209M, or Federal 209A. Starting with a lower pressure load should give you enough headroom for error. I would strongly recommend staying away from higher pressure loads (over 9000 - 9500 PSI or so) without having data for the exact components you are using.

· Registered
707 Posts
Hodgdon has quite a bit of data for them.

I've used the WIN209 data for the Alliant powders, RD, CD & GD, as a starting point and chronographed the loads to get the desired velocity. As long as you are not trying to push the envelope, I think you will be fine. If the WIN209 data is up against the 11K psi ceiling, I'd go with the actual primer specified.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
While many shooters enjoy useing these primers, some have had problems with the firing pin puncturing the primer cover and get the end of their firing pins burned. After this happens several times the fireing pins have to be replaced. This can cost you more in the long run. I suggest trying a couple hundred of these primers first before buy them in bulk. From what I've seen on this website there seems to be no ryme or reason for this. Some K guns have problems while others don't, same for brownings, beretta's. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

· Registered
166 Posts
I called Alliant tech support several months ago. They said to load them like Winchester 209's. I chronographed and they are the same velocity as Winchester 209's.

Andy

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Connie's has Cheddites for $109.99:http://conniescomponents.com/cheddite_209.html

I have loaaded 19,000 rounds since October using Cheddites with no firing pin problems and only 2 failure to fires.

Doc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.