Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddite Primers Piercing

10K views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  Dusty in IL 
#1 ·
I have recently been using Cheddite primers. I notice that some of them are being pierced by my firing pin.
I shoot a K-80, has anyone else seen this problem?

#2 ·
Paul7177 I have shot a lot of the Ceddite primers. Thousands and no pierced primers. I have a good friend who has a K-80 and has pierced Cheddite primers. I have heard Cheddites and K-80's don't get along. I have also never had a failed Cheddite primer. Perhaps others will ring in with their experience. It will be interesting to see if the K gun thing is true.

Mike

#6 ·
3 Browning XTs and more pierced Cheddites than I care to remember. The only time I bought those things I spent every penny and more of what I "saved" over Winchester primers just replacing burned firing pins.

The Cheddite primers seem to use a brittle steel for their primer cups that tears rather than stretches when the pin hits it, and the fact that the Browning pin hits the primer from the above and side makes things worse.

Every Cheddite I pierced had the entire cup deformed by the firing pin whereas Winchester primers show just one clean dimple and the rest of the cup is unchanged. The Cheddites also deformed in the direction away from the direction the Browning firing pin hit them. With the Winchester primers it is impossible to tell which direction the firing pin hit from.

My XTs bottom firing pins all project no more than .062" from the receiver face when pushed from behind so the pin is not traveling too far. These primers are definitely no bargain.

MK

#7 ·
Do I understand correctly that Rio has Cheddy primer?? I stopped using Rio because of this problem. Yes, K-80. (Added, this was older shells produced outside of US, going back maybe 5 or so years)

This seemed to work till I finish all my Rio ammo. Any miss-fires, I spray oil in the flash holes and remove stock and spay oil on the back of fire pin mechanism -- contiue on. Firing pins become burnt probably adding to the problem, but why change until all the ammo is gone. Then plan to annual the gun and you will have new firing pins. I did pull the firing pin block one time thru this process. Good luck!!

#9 ·
Add my name to the list. I (shamefully) bought some Cheddites to reload some "practice only" type reloads to save some money on loading as I shoot a lot. Several have had pierced cap primer caps result upon firing (maybe 25 or 30 out of a sleeve). When this sleeve is gone I plan to load only Winchester 209's exclusively. I shoot a K-80.

Jon Reitz

#17 ·
I know all about primer difficulties. Owned 3 Ljutic Dynokics and it was almost endless getting it fine tuned for primers. They have a huge spring for the thrust hammer / firing pin set up and would blow through anything which wasn't the correct depth. Other times I had Failure to Fires; nothing like running along on HCap at a large shoot back then and getting 3 FTF's on the third trap. Great guns otherwise.

1) Get a sample of different primers and line them up. Hold a steel flat edge (small steel ruler or blade from a box cutter) across the bottom and you'll see that the metal "faces" are flat and not as deep. Also, if you use a micrometer to measure their diameter, you will find them a little larger. Thus they do not always set as deep, especially on the first reload. Also hold the edge up to primer on your loaded hulls and see if they are set deep enough.

2) Not all hulls accept them the same, Plus, Federals for example will bow in a little. Gun clubs and AA's usually stay pretty solid. The trick with the Ljutic I had was to adjust the firing pin length using very thin shims inside the hammer. The pin was supposed to extend about .060", which usually worked well, if the primers were properly set in the hulls. Trick, find a flat washer .060" thick and drill a small hole in it. Set it over the firing pin to check the extent that it's protruding. If it's too long you may want to shorten it.

Summary, I had to basically set the gun up for one load / hull - primer and stay with it. ( I am now happy to have a Ljutic One-Touch which has a floating firing pin )

JT

#19 ·
Sometimes you get what you pay for (or didn't pay for). I personally have not had ANY real troubles with Cheddite primers. I don't shoot a K-Gun or a P-Gun, so I can't say about them. They have worked well in every gun I have fired them in and I have never noticed a primer perforation with a Cheddite primer.

#21 ·
I`ve been in our club for over 25 years , been using Chedittes for as long as I can remember , I reload mostly every hull-STS or gun clubs , help sort the hulls before throwing them away in the garbage and I have yet to see a pierced primer ??? Maybe it`s a territorial thing , west of the Mississippi ?????

#23 ·
<blockquote><I>"You don't like um' - don't buy um'!! Simple as that."</I></blockquote>

Thanks for the insight, but some of us figured that out a long time ago.

The OP was interested in whether or not anyone else had experience with his problem...and sometimes a simple "yes" or "no" just isn't enough.

MK

#24 ·
If you have a firing pin piercing the primer, you are getting a high pressure blow back through the firing pin hole and High pressures into the reciever which is not good, can cause a powder build up or carbon build up around the primer and cause mis-fires in the future.

I would worry about this problem the most.

I have never had a Rio Primer pierced by any gun I have owned and have shot over 30,000 of them so far.

May just be a K-80 problem.

Fiochi primers have had problems along with Noble primers.

Have had no problems w/Cheddites.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#25 ·
Gary posted some very descriptive pictures and I was present the day that happened, his DB-81 smacks em hard without a doubt. I also purchased the remainder of that case of primers and had a great time shooting them without any issues what so ever and am hoping he will try them again so I can get another bargain plus I am about out of primers so it would save me from ordering more, yep they will be cheddite.

I have been having misfire issues with a MX-3 Special and proud to say Gary helped me work it out and found a $5.28 spring was the cause of my troubles.
Sunday at the range my issue went the other way as I had seven primers punch through out of a box of factory gun clubs. Cheddites Good----Gun Clubs Bad.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.