Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read probably 50 blogs on here. And they all say for the cheddite 209 primer, use the loading data from a winchester 209 primer. But one thing people haven't mentioned is. If it's safe to use this "idea" in all the gauges?
Recently I've tried substituting a federal 209 for a cheddite 209 and found alot of unburnt powder in my barrels. I understand a hot primer to a mild primer leads to unburnt powder. But a mild to a hot primer can lead to some serious issues real quick. So with that said I'm kinda nervous to substitute a Remington 209 to a cheddite 209

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there is no information about cheddite on their website. And I said didn't try it with a substitution for remington. I said tried it for a substitution for federal. And it burnt cooler then I thought it would.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
For 12 GA target loads when substituting primers I feel a lot more comfortable using a slow burning powder like Green Dot instead of 700X.

·
Banned
272 Posts
I have substituted cheddite primers for winchester for years in 12 gauge loads with out any problems. Using printed recipes-hull,powder, wad-just substitute cheddite for winchester-works great

·
Registered
426 Posts
I use cheddites as a substitute for Remington 209 and Winchester 209. I use Promo powder and have not had any problems. I sent Alliant an email a couple years (January 2013) ago and here is the response:

Question:
Hello, Do you have any reload data for The cheddite 209 shotshell primer while using Promo powder in remington STS and gun club 12 ga hulls? I can't find the data on your website. thank you.

Response:
I suggest using the same data as with the Rem 209p primer. Thanks for your note.

·
Registered
215 Posts
not sure about rem 209 being close to a cheddite , most of published pressures I have seen the rem 209 makes lower pressure...I can tell ya if you start shooting sub gauge tube gun you better stick to published loads with the correct primer powder hull and wad.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yes it to bad you cant find to much data on the chedite as I have been loading them for 20 years and yes I liken them to a win primer just a little faster is all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've substituted cheddite for Win. primers. The only thing I have found is that Cheddite primers don't work well in real cold temperatures. Tend to not ignite. I would always keeps my shells warm until taking to the range to use if they had cheddite primers

·
Registered
792 Posts
You can sit at your keyboards and kick this Winchester ↔ Cheddite things around all day and not get a resolution. The OP can take the initiative and contact Ben, Paul or Duane at Alliant and just ask them what they recommend. Be specific with the components you'll be using when you make the swap. If they have data to base it on they'll give you a specific answer. Otherwise, all you'll be getting here are more suppositions, guesses and opinions.

·
Banned
218 Posts
I was told after my K80 annual by an authorized Krieghoff dealer/ smith “not” to use “cheddite” primers and to stop using anything “Rio” to prevent firing pin pitting. He’d seem numerous guns with pitted primers from devoted cheap primer/ shell primers gun owners. He also said that the Rio’s tended to enlarge the primer hole in the hull preventing a tight fit for WW209 or Rem 209 down the road.

Reactions: Bill Hom

·
Registered
215 Posts
You can sit at your keyboards and kick this Winchester ↔ Cheddite things around all day and not get a resolution. The OP can take the initiative and contact Ben, Paul or Duane at Alliant and just ask them what they recommend. Be specific with the components you'll be using when you make the swap. If they have data to base it on they'll give you a specific answer. Otherwise, all you'll be getting is more suppositions, guesses and opinions.
exactly. .. I know there is a company that will test loads for you which should be full proof if you are dead set on using load. I see alliant have published loads with cheddite primer, so they might have already done the homework. Not sure if they Will tell you that via email or over the phone.
Just don't want to see the OP's NEXT post saying "MY GUN BLEW UP ON THE LINE."

·
Registered
792 Posts
... He also said that the Rio’s tended to enlarge the primer hole in the hull preventing a tight fit for WW209 or Rem 209 down the road.
Right... Rio primers are a couple thousandths larger in diameter than any other primers. Once a hull has seen Rios you'll be able t9o install most other primers with thumb pressure and remove them by taping the base of the hull on your bench. I've even seen regular primers pushed out of "Rio-ed" bases during the final crimp process.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I just checked 150 hulls with spent Cheddite primers and 200 hulls with spent Fiocchi primers, all shot out of my Blaser F3. It appeared that 3 of the Cheddites had been pierced and none of the Fiocchi primers had. Certainly not definitive proof of anything but it is indicative of a greater probability of piercing with the Cheddites. I'll use up the few that I have remaining but won't buy any more. JPM

·
Banned
218 Posts
A few years ago I did buy a box of cheddites from Sportsman Warehouse...started to set up to reload but noticed right away that as soon as I dropped the first sleeve in the tray as they slid down they left trails of rust! Took 'em back and waited until WW209's came back into stock.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I do wish they wouldn't pierce in my K80s ,they fit wonderfully in Remington hulls much easier than win 209s . But I have had them pierce in all my K80s so I had to stop using them . I will however still use them in my other shotguns just not my kriggys. Other than the piercing I think they are great substitute for win 209s and they were $35 cheaper a case .

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have not seen any reloads using cheddite primers in sub gauges other than there own hulls and unless contacting the powder manufacture
would not recommend it because of pressure spikes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hippity Hoopia, in your post did you mean Federal 209 or Federal 209A ? I believe the
Ferderal 209 is a more mild primer than the Cheddite or Winchester. The Federal 209A is
a hotter primer than all three. The Remington primer the most mild of all. That's my understanding.
If I'm wrong I'd appreciate learning more about the subject. It's an interesting subject.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts