Trapshooters Forum banner

Cheddite 209 Primer trade for Winchester or Federal Primers or some other consumable

2470 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  50RALPH50
I started shot shell reloading within the last 6 months. I have a brick (1,000) of Cheddite primers that I purchased during the pandemic. As I gain reloading experience, I would prefer not to use the Cheddite primers (due to them being larger) and would prefer to use either Federal or Winchester. I would accept some powder or shot for this exchange.

I have listed them on my local gun forum a couple of times but it doesnt seem to be much interest in shot shell reloading items nor information. That's what brought me to this forum.

I know this maybe a long shot but its worth a try. I'm in the Baltimore, Maryland area and would hope to meet for this exchange.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the repsonse. From my understanding, that once I use the Cheddite primers, the Winchester and Federal primer will fit somewhat loosely? That was my concern.

· Registered
562 Posts
Several charts have been posted here on TS.com showing the real numbers - Win, Fed, Rem, Cheddites : all interchangeable. Powder manufacturers may list more loads online with the first 3.

· Registered
2,708 Posts
I've loaded exclusively W209s for the last 12 years and was forced to buy a few sleeves of Cheddites to continue reloading.

I personally think they feed through my Mec better than the Win 209s. I've loaded about 800 so far and have only had a few slow primer drops where with Win 209s I get atleast 3 per 200 that get hung up sideways going down the tube. I also feel they don't require as much force to drop the handle but that could be in my head.

· Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I’ve run several thousand Cheddites through Winchester and Remington hulls. Never had an issue. I don’t for a minute believe that business about oversized primers.

· Registered
233 Posts
The sizing on the Cheddites is very similar to the Win 209 (can't speak about Federals as I have never used them). I use the Gun Clubs, Nitro, STS and AAHS shells for 12 gauge and the AAHS exclusively for 28 and 410. I have put Winchester primers in and then Cheddites and back and forth with never an issue on sizing. I've called Hodgdon and Alliant on several occassions to confrim that I can substitute the Cheddites in reloading recipes for the Win 209 primer. I have used these primers interchangeably in the published reloading recipes that I use.

· Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I always used Winchester primers, for shotshell as well as rifle and pistol. But about 2 years ago a member of my club bought a ton of Cheddite primers and was selling them to other members at a good price. So I started using Cheddite. I'm guessing I have gone through 10 - 12 cases since and NEVER had a problem.

· Registered
2,708 Posts
I always used Winchester primers, for shotshell as well as rifle and pistol. But about 2 years ago a member of my club bought a ton of Cheddite primers and was selling them to other members at a good price. So I started using Cheddite. I'm guessing I have gone through 10 - 12 cases since and NEVER had a problem.
Sort of got me thinking how they can produce in France with slightly beefier packaging, ship it here to the US and still sell for cheaper than Winchesters (pre-Rona of course). Is there a "cheaper" quality to them? And how are they able to provide primers when Winchesters, Rios Federals etc.. primers are non-existant? Looks like the Frenchys may be our saving grace for primers.

· Registered
4,376 Posts
Just load 50 or 100 of your hulls using Cheddite primers. That way you won't have a lot of hulls with stretched out primer pockets. 100 hulls X 10 loads each will use up your 1000 primers and "maybe" you will find other primers in the meantime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts