Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a Dunham sporting goods near you, they are advertising Federal 12 ga. target loads for $54.99 a flat. Bulge

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Very hard to believe . Was in our local Dunham,s last week Rem Gun Clubs were 64.00 did,t have any Gold Medals but did have Win AA,s 95 bucks ??

·
Registered
843 Posts
Let me know when factory shells get to $3.50 per box - then they'll be cheaper than my reloads and I "MIGHT" feign interest.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Can you believe that we now consider a "flat" of shells to be "cheap" at $54.00? The price of lead and fuel are where they were 5 years ago so these prices should begin to come down soon.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Supply chain is still loaded with higher priced goods. Whoever empties theirs first will have the edge on the next round of pricing.

If lead goes down today, you can't expect cheap shot tomorrow.

HM

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
ALF99-If lead drops again tomorrow, what would that have to do with the manufacturing cost of the shells on the shelf?

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Alf has it right.

Prices must come down as component prices come down. There is a delay, and it depends on two things.

One, when the less expensive lead (in this case) gets into the manufacturing process. Once one manufacturer starts dropping prices they all will.

Two, is cash flow. Even if the manufactures are sitting on a gazillion tons they will be forced to take a reduced margin if sales get below a certain point - ie cash flow starts to hurt. And in this economy, that could be sooner rather than later. They need to keep their plants running at some minimal capacity.

Reloading is a minor factor and only impacts sales of "target shells"; although some may regret their decision to sell their reloaders a few years back and "shoot cheap factory shells". Alf - I just loaded up another 1500 rounds on the Spolar you sold me. I still need to watch my costs (and I am dumb enough to enjoy reloading) so making my shells is good for my wallet, and keeps me out of the bars where younger women remain a temptation.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
My shooting friends have recently had conversations about the hardness of materials used in non Remington STS or Winchester AA shells ( read as ALL others ) primers causing problems with breech faces on over/under shotguns. Problems exhibited are cratered breech faces around the firing pin creating need to have repairwork performed. The problems are believed to be caused by the steel content of the Nobel, Cordite and other primers.

Anyone had any experience with this issue ?

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Pat,

You are right it has nothing to do with the manufacturing cost of the shells on the shelf. But if that store wants to sell some of that stuff on the shelf they better put a price on it that people can accept.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet. HMB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.