Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever thought you'd like to be able to take a vacation to Alaska, but couldn't afford it? The expensive part is lodging and chartering a fishing boat. Here's where the opportunity comes in.

I have a 32' Coronet Yacht harbored in Cordova, Alaska. Cordova is a small fishing community on Prince William Sound, but one that has jet service daily from Anchorage and Seattle. If you book in advance and watch airfares you can get a round trip ticket to Cordova from Chicago for around $600-$700. Even on short notice they are about $900. So, is properly planned, you can do an Alaska vacation for about $1000, and with a 5 way split on ownership you would spend a few hundred a year in other costs. (less if more people split)

I am willing to sell my boat for $20,000, which I feel is very low, but I need to invest my money in other things right now. If several guys go together to purchase it, the up front cost would be minimal. The slip costs $1050 per year and electric is about $30/month. Insurance runs about $800/year, but could be reduced if insured at a lower value. This boat could be used for summer fishing, or as a base for hunting in the spring or fall. If purchased by a group the time could be split up over the summer.

This boat is set up for Alaska fishing and even has fishing gear on board. Since I moved out of Alaska I've used it exactly as I am describing here. There is at least 16 weeks of good summer fishing available each year, and the boat will sleep up to 6 comfortably. It has twin inboard Volvo/Penta 4 cylinder gasoline engines and Volvo/Penta SX outdrives. It has a nice sized head with shower and electric flush toilet, and an on board inverter and deep cycle battery bank to provide 120 volts while at sea. It has recent electronics, refrigerator/freezer, and microwave. The boat has nearly new engines and outdrives, so maintenance is minimal.

Concerning value, I can tell you there has been well over $30,000 of new parts and updates done over the past six years. The boat is currently insured for $35,000, which the insurance company verified to be a reasonable value.

If you are interested in cheap Alaska vacations, this is a deal whether you buy it on your own, or as a group. I can be contacted by e-mail or at my cell phone: (815) 742-7421.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
What year is your boat, when was the last survey? Full service dock? How much is haulout and winter storage?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hull is 1972, but Coronets are known as one of the finest hulls ever produced. Do a search online for Coronet Yachts. Engines and outdrives are 2007. Electronics, electrical system, inverter, refrig/freezer, electric head 2010-2011.

No recent survey, but the boat broker in Cordova placed a value at $30,000 for purpose of sale. The boat is currently on their site at $30,000, but I have requested they lower the online asking price to $22,000. I also have their OK to sell it on my own if I can.

Cordova is open water year round, so I have never had the boat hauled, but the have a 150 ton travel-lift. All my hull maintenance has been done on the grid or by using someones trailer.

Harbor is full service. Over 700 vessels there, mostly commercial.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
180 Posts
Are the engines GM marine conversions? Look to be OHV configuration rather than OHC Volvo engines. Volvo SX outdrives are pretty much bulletproof.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do believe this is a GM engine that is modified by Volvo-Penta. They are 3.0 liter making 135 HP each. They are very fuel efficient, plus if one quits you can come home on the other. This is very important in Alaska. Another advantage to the small twins is when trolling for King Salmon you can troll very slow on just one engine.

Mark.

·
Registered
183 Posts
OH yes Copper River salmon. One hell of a river though. Sure would hate to fall in without a rope and two strong men on the other end. Did it twice and the fish were excellent. Alaska truly is gods country.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have mentioned that the engines and outdrives are 2007 models but only have around 100 hours of run time on them.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts