Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, most of the money available at a registered shoot is distributed based on performance.

What if the money available for each event was distributed by a luck of the draw based system. The performance system would still be used to determine the winners of each event but the money available for each event would be distributed by a luck of the draw based system. Everyone shooting in the event would have an equal chance of wining some of the money available for that event, regardless of performance.

I have read that the ATA's problem is not in getting new members but in keeping those new members. If these new members had an equal chance at winning the money based on the luck of the draw, I think this would go a long ways towards keeping new members and some of the not so new members who rarely win anything.

Sure, there will be some of the performance based money winners who may stop shooting ATA targets but my gut tells me that most of the current money winners are more interested in growing the membership and keeping ATA trapshooting alive and well for future generations. At least I hope they are.

Do you like the idea of changing from a performance based distribution of money to a luck of the draw based system - yes or no?

Thanks to those who choose to reply.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
And contestant 1 says

"what is a Lewis system"

Or it's a money raffle and I believe you'd need a license...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MD, my post was not a joke.

BigM-Perazzi, the Lewis is why I said most of the money instead of all of the money.

Thanks for both of your replies.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Garry... Surely you're not serious? Let's also have a luck of the draw for those losers that did not win anything after the first luck of the draw was held? While we are at it, let's award money to those shooters that shoot Remington shells, Federal shells, Estate shells, etc., with each shooter shooting in their own shell category. Oh yeah, let's not forget separate money for Perazzi shooters, Kreighoff shooters, Beretta shooters, etc. Why not just throw center hole, 30 yard targets? That way everyone that attends the shoot will be a winner..... No, I don't care at all for your idea... Just sayin'... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Ljutic Nut
2,907 Posts
T-Ball with a shotgun. Everyone gets a trophy too?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Another consideration - most states do not regulate purses and options because the outcomes are decided by skill, not luck. If money was awarded as proposed it surely would be considered gambling and prosecuted.

·
Registered
417 Posts
sounds like obama trap. lets distribute all the monies, dont worry about the performers (tax payers).

sorry, dont like it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many who answered with a negative response would play the Powerball, Mega Millions or even bingo if you did not have an equal chance of winning?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Garry,

Not to come down on you, but where would this money come from?

Your idea is not very far from the way obama wants to run this country, using other peoples money to keep a few happy.

Ron Burdick

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GR8shot, why are the performers the tax payers? Everyone who plays the money puts an equal amount of money in the pot for each event with an equal chance of winning some of that money.

Pocatello, it's my understand that non-profits with a 501C status can apply for a license to conduct lotteries/raffles. I know of a state trappers association who has such a license.

To Dan, Tom and the others who don't like my idea, I would like to ask you what is the one thing we could do quickly with little expense to the ATA and ATA clubs that would have the best chance of bringing in new members and keeping new and not so new members.

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry guys but I am not getting the connection between my idea and the Obama redistribution plan.

The money for my idea would come from the same sources it comes from today. The shooter would have the option to play or not to play. If the shooter decides to play for the money in the pot for that event, the shooter would put X number of dollars into the pot. The winners of the money in each pot would be determined by a drawing.

What would you call the current plan that distributes the available money to a few?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts