Trapshooters Forum banner

Changing squads in a registered doubles marathon,... or any marathon?

2538 25
We are having a 500 target doubles marathon next week. I'm sure it is classified in the program as Event 1 through Event 5.

Several shooters asked about changing squads, or rather shooting on two different squads during any single "Event" , ... if possible, by filling open spaces and shooting several times in Event 1. ... on any one of the 5 - 100 target Events

My example is Post 2 on Squad 1 / Event 1 and then Post 2 again on Squad 5 Event 1.... or maybe whatever the last squad is on event one.... It is 200 targets in rapid succession but some are capable and willing to do it. It fills in partial squads and lets some of the shooters shoot and finish earlier in the day. There are no individual trophy's or options for Events 1 to 3... only on a cumulative first 300 targets and again on the total 500 targets.

Would this be ok as long as it doesn't cause a delay in the event?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
4,774 Posts
We are having a 500 target doubles marathon next week. I'm sure it is classified in the program as Event 1 through Event 5.

Several shooters asked about changing squads, or rather shooting on two different squads during any single "Event" , ... if possible, by filling open spaces and shooting several times in Event 1. ... on any one of the 5 - 100 target Events

My example is Post 2 on Squad 1 / Event 1 and then Post 2 again on Squad 5 Event 1.... or maybe whatever the last squad is on event one.... It is 200 targets in rapid succession but some are capable and willing to do it. It fills in partial squads and lets some of the shooters shoot and finish earlier in the day. There are no individual trophy's or options for Events 1 to 3... only on a cumulative first 300 targets and again on the total 500 targets.

Would this be ok as long as it doesn't cause a delay in the event?
If ATA registered, NO. If just a club shoot, not registered, whatever management decides.

· Registered
406 Posts
I don't see the problem of entering more than once in a same event given that it is for targets only and no trophies and doesn't cause delay. Used to see it done all the time in the PITA. Not sure of the ATA rules and obviously that is paramount but given its for targets only what is the issue? What could it hurt??

· Registered
3,168 Posts
There are two rules that have to be addressed.
5. No shooter will be allowed to repeat any portion of the regularly
advertised program (i.e., shooting more than once in an event) except
as permitted in Section VII. Par., A., 8.

3. At any registered trapshooting competition, no person shall be permitted
to enter and take part in any completed or partially completed event or
events after Squad No. 1 has completed sub-event 1 of any new event.
At tournaments shot “bank system” with several squads starting at the
same time on several traps, the procedure shall be construed to be the
same as if all squads started on the same trap.

Once you get that part out of the way, the logical answer is yes, you can do it if you can keep the paperwork straight.
Remember that in your example, the shooter is now shooting Event two, not repeating Event one.
Since in your example everybody is shooting doubles, let's say the last squad has two people finishing Event One and three people starting Event Two, as long as the scoresheet is correctly notated and you have at least 3 people entered in Event 2 it's fine and doesn't violate either of the rules noted above.
This comes up a lot at small clubs running marathons.
In general I agree with everyone shooting events in the correct sequence, but some common sense should prevail at times.
*Note this cannot apply to a handicap event, due to the possibility of earned yardage after each event.

If you don't agree, please cite the rule that references it.
I checked the rulebook twice and couldn't find a rule on it specifically one way or the other.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
I don't see the problem of entering more than once in a same event given that it is for targets only and no trophies and doesn't cause delay. Used to see it done all the time in the PITA. Not sure of the ATA rules and obviously that is paramount but given its for targets only what is the issue? What could it hurt??
NO, it's against ATA rules.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
One more thing. If it's an event where ATA regestered targets are being scored, you may not fill an unoccupied post and shoot a practice round with a squad that's shooting regestered targets.
That is UNLESS it's a Big 50.
Then practice shooters may shoot with registered competitors.

· Registered
3,168 Posts
It's a matter of a couple of rules, each event must have at least three contestants and no shooter can enter the same event more than once. If the club is having multiple events of the same discipline they can all be registered as long as there are at least 3 constants in each event. It's mostly a matter of paperwork as long as those two rules are met.
5. No shooter will be allowed to repeat any portion of the regularly
advertised program (i.e., shooting more than once in an event) except
as permitted in Section VII. Par., A., 8.

· Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
you may have a point about "discreet events" in a marathon ... I was only assuming the 500 targets were going to be 5 - 100 target discreet events... I don't remember seeing a program on this but if I can find one, or a program, I'll post it. It may be one 300 target event and another complete 500 target event... at least that's what the trophy's and options are based on.

The way it's listed in the program is Event 1 ... 500 Target Marathon
seems like you can shoot whenever, wherever you want to score 500 doubles targets.

· Registered
3,168 Posts
you may have a point about "discreet events" in a marathon ... I was only assuming the 500 targets were going to be 5 - 100 target discreet events... I don't remember seeing a program on this but if I can find one, or a program, I'll post it. It may be one 300 target event and another complete 500 target event... at least that's what the trophy's and options are based on.

seems like you can shoot whenever, wherever you want to score 500 doubles targets.
In general you are correct, but the event you describe is unlikely to be a single 500 target event.
I have seen a couple, but only a few that were actual 500 target events, most are listed as a "500 Target Marathon, but in actuality are 5 individual events. That doesn't keep the club from having awards for any amount of targets as they wish, including an HOA for the 300 target mark or the 500 target mark or both.

After you find a copy of the program, if it truly is a single 500 target event, management can squad shooters at their discretion to get everyone the required number of targets for the event, in the least amount of time. If it's a small club, they will probably have to rotate scorers and loaders so succeeding squads may not always be the same people on the same squad every subevent. It's a paperwork hassle, but it can be done.

· Premium Member
4,489 Posts

You can. You don’t even need a full squad although you probably want one.

· Registered
4,491 Posts
We hosted a 500 bird, single event, a couple years ago, knowing it would establish a new world record, as a single, 500 bird event, had never been done before.

Sure enough, Jason Ward, from Texas, came to the event and ran the 500 straight!! A world record that can now only be tied.

Squads were given a field and a referee, and provided box lunches. They chose their pace, break times, etc, on their own as a squad.

We were going to repeat it last year as a 20 ga event, but covid cancelled it.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
I have shot 1 500 bird marathon. each was 1 100 bird sub event, and showed that way on ny average card. Trophies were given to Sr. And Jr's for the 1st 300. Open shooters had to do 500 for the throphy. That club had nice leather bags and i drove 600 miles to do it so i stayed for all 500. 2/3s of the shooters dropped out after 300 just due to demographics. It was the most fun I had ever had shooting. The winner shot to my left and I just tried to keep up.

· Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I think we may be over thinking this. I've shot many double marathons where you could shoot as many as you wanted. KS-OKIE might weigh in. He shot one that was a bit different and he can explain the particulars better than I can.
I have shot a butt load of Dbls marathons . Configured many different ways . In my part of the country most were 100-100-100 etc or 200-200-100 . Some with Lewis purse options on each sub event plus total . Most targets I have ever shot in one day marathons was 1,000 16`s 3 times . 300 hdcp once . My biggest Dbls marathon was 5,500 targets . I used to drive all over the area to get in as many targets as possible . Most fun one is the annual Kinsley Ks 500 Dbls marathon . If you have ever shot it you would know why it is a great shoot. One thing to keep in perspective is huge target totals and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee in the club house......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.