Trapshooters Forum banner

Changing of the Guard?

3832 Views 38 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  cantshoot
Is it just me or does anyone else see that the usual "big names" are missing from the leader boards?

Seems like a bunch of Juniors and "new name" shooters winning/leading the events....

Maybe Clinics,videos and sponsor deals have got in the way of shooting....

The Grand has 4 more days- lets see how it ends.

Paul in Virginia
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
It's easy to shoot when you don't have to worry about bills/family/whatever is going on at work all you do is plug in those headphones and bop to the music focusing on the bird when mom and dad are paying your entry fee along with your shells and all you have to do is go out there and break em all ... For sure advancements in trap have occured that also help better glasses/guns/great ammo. Just saying seeing 16 year olds shoot 20K kolars/kguns ect.... Life's good with not a whole lot of worry.

· Registered
7,539 Posts
It’s not just parents paying the way. You have AIM, SCPT and high school program which is introducing kids and parents to the sport. They start to excel and some start to knock them as spoiled rich kids. Check the scores these kids put up in their national events and they are not all shooting K and P guns. Shooting one of these guns does not make you a champion.

Some complain about a dieing sport and then complain about kids winning. Think about helping fund some of these groups as ammo shortage is putting some of these groups in jeopardy of going away.

Don

· Premium Member
796 Posts
I watched the blue/gray doubles shoot the other night up at the grandstands. LOTS of young kids in it showing us why they are All Americans. Big smiles and proving why they deserve to be out there entertaining us. I’ve never been concerned who’s paying for their shooting or anything else. Some have parents who could spend unlimited funds on their kids and some have parents who both work and sacrifice with money and time. It’s what parents do all across the country everyday and in almost every sport. Thanks moms and dads!

· Registered
Beretta 303
453 Posts
It's easy to shoot when you don't have to worry about bills/family/whatever is going on at work all you do is plug in those headphones and bop to the music focusing on the bird when mom and dad are paying your entry fee along with your shells and all you have to do is go out there and break em all ... For sure advancements in trap have occured that also help better glasses/guns/great ammo. Just saying seeing 16 year olds shoot 20K kolars/kguns ect.... Life's good with not a whole lot of worry.
So true! Spoiled rotten kids today that know nothing about hard work. Daddy buys them $25K shot gun and says go at it. I don't get it...

· Registered
10,450 Posts
Don‘t knock the kids just because their parents/grandparents can afford them the opportunity many of us wished we could of had.
They still have to do the shooting and yes I will agree it does take the worry of having to work and pay for it out of the equation but young eyes, reflexes, not a care in the world attitude makes some mighty fine shooters and ambassadors for the trap shooting world.

· Registered
6,429 Posts
What well heeled parents give their children is none of anyone’s business but them. If kids are lucky in life along with having good eyes and reflexes that most of us old farts once had, so much the better. The best score always wins like it should, no matter who shoots it. I’ve been lucky enough to have a great day and hit them all and I’m not a regular winner either or a big dog. I like them had the best score for that event. I’m glad the same shooters don’t dominate our sport every time they compete. HOA & HAA will have plenty of big dog names among them. You like everyone can just outshoot them and win yourself. My 2 cents!

The first time I met Harlan Campbell Jr. he was 15 and he was shooting a Perazzi just like his dad at Denver’s Mile-Hi club. Him and his dad wore belts with their names on the back that read Harlan Campbell Sr. and Jr. They were some of the best people I’ve ever met at a trap club.

· Registered
123 Posts
Just because I mentioned kids shooting expensive guns doesn't mean I meant that as jealousy and nor did I bad mouth any adult/child shooter... It's a lot easier to focus on that orange clay when your head is absolutely clear and you don't have to worry about adulting... The AAA shooters that can turn their minds off from reality and just focus on that clay during the round are AAA for a reason.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I’d hazard a guess that it costs no more to campaign a teen to All-American status in trapshooting than it does to support a teen at the national level of AAU or it’s equivalent in baseball, volleyball, basketball, hockey or any other sport. There are more kids participating, more parents with the disposable income to support them, and more sources to disseminate the news about them. One of my granddaughters played regional club volleyball. Her Dad met some of the parents that traveled across the county. Can you say chartered jets??

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.