Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have tried the AA 3 dram and could not tell a kicking difference.I am shooting a Imp mod and it pulverizes the second target when I'm on .Just curious how much wider will my breaking pattern be at 35 yards if I switch to mod?Shouldn't it take fewer bb's with 1200 fps.
Monty

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I have tried the AA 3 dram and could not tell a kicking difference.I am shooting a Imp mod and it pulverizes the second target when I'm on .Just curious how much wider will my breaking pattern be at 35 yards if I switch to mod?Shouldn't it take fewer bb's with 1200 fps.
Monty
Stay with the chokes you are using.
The top gunsmiths (Tom Seitz & Tom Wilkinson) use .027 to .030 for the second shot for their customers, that should be improved modified or lite full.

Matt Bartholow, number one in overall averages in 2015 uses full. Don't go down that path thinking a more open choke is going to buy you some targets, it won't.

Big Leo HarrisonIII won more doubles championships at the Grand than any other person, he shot with a full choke .035 for the second shot.

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
Monty
You should listen to Tom. What your hoping for isn't going to happen as you aren't missing close enough for it to matter.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I think ya'll are are probably right. Maybe I need to go to full on the second.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Don't start thinking!!! You'll be sorry if you do!!! Just stay with the IM and watch the target break. Best of Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Hey Monty. It sounds like you are crushing the second target. Very nice! To me it seems like if you are hitting them so hard, you may want to stick with that choke.
It works best for me when I don't give myself too wide of a pattern, because then I notice that my shots become a little more lazy.

If you want to, send me a PM and I would be glad to go over any thoughts or questions you may have about doubles targets/chokes/loads!

-Matt Bartholow

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Why would you want a faster shell? If you are crushing them when "on", then you need more practice and technique to be "on" more often, not change the gun, ammo, or chokes.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Stay with the chokes you are using.
The top gunsmiths (Tom Seitz & Tom Wilkinson) use .027 to .030 for the second shot for their customers, that should be improved modified or lite full.

Matt Bartholow, number one in overall averages in 2015 uses full. Don't go down that path thinking a more open choke is going to buy you some targets, it won't.

Big Leo HarrisonIII won more doubles championships at the Grand than any other person, he shot with a full choke .035 for the second shot.

Tom

Tom Seitz did the barrels on my MX3 Special barrels. Both barrels are back bored to .742" and are choked .020" and .034". Best doubles barrels I have ever shot! Tom was one of the few guys in those days that actually knew what he was doing when tuning a barrel. I shoot lite 1oz. 8's for my first shot, and a 1 1/8oz. 3dr. load of 8's for the second shot. Works very well for me... Just my experience.

Reactions: Quick 1
1 - 11 of 11 Posts