Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
You cannot change chokes in a station after you have already attempted a pair. Other than that, it's wide open.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Been shooting an old 870 with a mod choke on some pasture clays. Really powders close shots with a direct hit. Impresses my buddies. Just wondering if I should take my chokes to the shoot. Shot trap, skeet and 5-stand. First time SC.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It did not hurt them because they chose to be good rather than lucky .
That, or maybe they do like I do, I have a mix of 7 1/2, 8, and 9s... color coded in my pockets. Unless it's a wwwwway out there faaaaar shot I will stick with IC as well. Less for my brain to think about is better.
Mike B

·
Registered
8 Posts
The choke you predominately use should be the one(s) you have the most confidence it. If it's IC, that's fine. If it's IM, no problem. When you believe that a choke will break targets, they normally do. I love my modified. The only time I change is if I remove it completely and shoot threads at a really close target. When I miss, it's me, not the choke.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I shot at a NSCA shoot last Sunday and ended up using, Skeet, I/C, L/M, MOD and I/M chokes.

I probably change chokes to often but when the target is going away on edge and it looks like a HDCP target farther away than the 27 yard line I don't have confidence in a Skeet or I/C choke.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The choke you predominately use should be the one(s) you have the most confidence it. If it's IC, that's fine. If it's IM, no problem. When you believe that a choke will break targets, they normally do. I love my modified. The only time I change is if I remove it completely and shoot threads at a really close target. When I miss, it's me, not the choke.

I shot Light Full and Modified in my gun at last weekend's Indiana State Sporting Clays championship. Shoot whatever works best for you. I think the efficacy of chokes is highly over-rated.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,773 Posts
Practice with a full choke, but compete with whatever you think you need. You wouldn't play a round of Golf with the same club, would you?

·
Banned
715 Posts
There is a reason why fixed chokes shoot better patterns with ammo it likes , when you change chokes , it's like trying to make something happen , that won't !
Back in the days most O/U's were choked 1/2 and full , you could only become a good shooter if you practiced , now days we buy more chokes !

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
I thought it was mandatory to change chokes. Most of them would change chokes if they had time for the second shot on a doubles pair. That's why it takes so much time to shoot that silly ass sport.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks. Been shooting an old 870 with a mod choke on some pasture clays. Really powders close shots with a direct hit. Impresses my buddies. Just wondering if I should take my chokes to the shoot. Shot trap, skeet and 5-stand. First time SC.
Crossing shot, You are probably handicapping yourself far more by shooting a pump than a mod. choke. I see too much unnecessary choke changing in sporting clays. Slows down an already slow game. I've also seen lots of big scores in trap singles shot with a .040" choke to worry about it. John

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
It did not hurt them because they chose to be good rather than lucky .
When I miss, it's me, not the choke.
I love it when people are honest and put the results/blame where it belongs...ON THE SHOOTER. George Digweed, quite possibly the most talented person to ever shoot a shotgun shoots full/full whether he's competing or wing shooting. Just go to YOU TUBE and watch some of his videos...absolutely incredible!!!

That's why it takes so much time to shoot that silly ass sport.
"...that silly ass sport." has many of the best shooters in the world competing against one another. If you don't like to shoot it, then don't, but there is no need to bad-mouth possibly the most popular clay target game on the planet. Estimates for the NSCA National Championships held in San Antonio this October is currently around 2,000 participants.

When was the last time you heard of that many at any ATA event anywhere?!?!

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
RE: "...that silly ass sport."

All the shooting sports have there minuses and pluses.

I shoot all the clay target sports and find none of them a silly ass sport.

Hay, if 100 straights is your game then by all means shoot NSSA skeet and ATA trap and be happy with it, but in this day when we have the left trying to close gun ranges and limit gun rights, your just plan being someone who has issues that can't be properly addressed on this board, as it would most likely get me suspended.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"...that silly ass sport." has many of the best shooters in the world competing against one another. If you don't like to shoot it, then don't, but there is no need to bad-mouth possibly the most popular clay target game on the planet. Estimates for the NSCA National Championships held in San Antonio this October is currently around 2,000 participants.

When was the last time you heard of that many at any ATA event anywhere?!?![/QUOTE]

Have you ever heard of shoot called the Grand American? They have that many shooters every year.

http://www.shootata.com/Portals/0/pdf/2014_Grand_American_Demo&Totals.pdf

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
"that silly ass sport".
Now we have myopic shooter's who think it is in their best interest to choose to make derogatory comments about a clay target sport they don't participate in.
Now that's a great way to promote shooting sports and support gun clubs!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Theloudestone :

I think what he is saying is that the NSCA National Championships has 2,000 shooters sighned up now . 2 months till the shoot .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts