Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what changes have you noticed that have been made in powder over the last 10-20 yrs or more and why ? RD, GD, 700x, unique, WW. hodgden new powders, change in charge rates? etc. thanks dennis

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
red dot was improved and the mfg'rs forgot to tell us. they re-labeled it fine, but the chemical makeup isnt the same.

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Well Hodgdon's fluffing machine or whatever blew-up!!!! This effected Clays, International Clays, and Univeral Clay's as well. When they went back to re-building the place I think they felt this stage should be left out/or changed it for safety reason's. This may why there is the need to change bushings for the same powder now, as compared to before they had there explosion. I have not used the new type yet. Soon now, very soon, I hope. Still recovering from the hip surgery, don't ya know.

Red Dot was changed to clean up the powder residue that was left in the barrel. It was kind of dirty and other powders were taking it place in the market. I'm sure it was changed to try to bring back most of the loaders they lost over a period of time. Also the company was just taken over by Alliant during this same time period as well. It was formerly called Hercules Powder company. break em all Jeff

Now this is hear-say for the most part. I have limited facts here as I do not work in the industry.

·
Registered
386 Posts
When my powder stock ran low I made It a point to shoot up all the old stuff I had before trying to buy more. I shot red dot , herco and 2400 that were in the old paper cans and 700 that was in a metal can and it all shot fine but boy was it dirty .

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Well Hodgdon's fluffing machine or whatever blew-up!!!! This effected Clays, International Clays, and Univeral Clay's as well. When they went back to re-building the place I think they felt this stage should be left out/or changed it for safety reason's. This may why there is the need to change bushings for the same powder now, as compared to before they had there explosion.
The old Clays products were manufactured in Australia. The new stuff is made in Canada. It looks a little different, but it's the same formula. Not sure if the process is exactly the same since it is a different contractor manufacturing it. You do have to watch out on the bushings, though.

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Thanks Tim. I forgot they moved the plant out of Australia as well. Like I said, I still have not bought my first keg "Yet"!!! break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wasn't 700x first called DuPont, then DuPont IMR 700x and now Hodgdon? in the mid to later 70's 700x was considered a pretty fast powder. that's all I used back then and for some reason switched to R/D and stayed with it. Now i'm having trouble finding it or promo but 700x is available and I might try it again. dennis

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
When I started re-loading (1960-ish) there was no 700X, the closest thing was IMR Hi-Score, which was a single base like PB--7625--4756. My understanding is that single base powders are more expensive to produce than double base. So DuPont changed the formula to more like R.D. for pricing reasons. When they did, it was renamed Hi Score 700X, later on the Hi Score moniker was dropped and now it's just 700X.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
the current 700x does not meter as nice as the older stuff did.

bu older I mean 5 to 6 years ago stuff.

I used to like it, not anymore.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I started re-loading (1960-ish) there was no 700X, the closest thing was IMR Hi-Score, which was a single base like PB--7625--4756. My understanding is that single base powders are more expensive to produce than double base. So DuPont changed the formula to more like R.D. for pricing reasons. When they did, it was renamed Hi Score 700X, later on the Hi Score moniker was dropped and now it's just 700X.
Thanks Ross. That's It !! Hi Score. I knew there was another name on those metal cans. dennis

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
valmet---yes those metal kegs were 12#ers, when they changed the local gun shop clearance-d out the Hi Score at about half price wish I would have bought it all. The original Hi Score didn't burn the paper cases like the newer 700X--R. D. and other double base powders. Alcan also had some good offerings. Haven't used any 700X since Hogdens (sp) acquired sales rights an raised the price, so don't know how it is now as I switched to R.D. when the 700X production plant burned or whatever happened. Ross Puls

·
Registered
110 Posts
Used to use Solo 1000 but since I cannot find it, I went to 700x which seems to be quite efficient. Burns clean and is fast. I actually backed off the amount I was using for 1 oz loads. I don't know what it was like before but it works well for me.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Green Dot was supposedly made to burn "cleaner" but that is from what I have read online. Blue dot used for my .44 mag reloads has always burned dirty for me as did older Green Dot. I've read that a lot of concern is now being placed on making rifle powder more temp. stable with various additives. There are several new powders out there that are marketed as temp. stable. Graphite to prevent static is used. Manufacturers try to meet our needs so things will change and usually for the better.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I cut my teeth reloading years ago with Red Dot. Was great stuff. Dirty? It could have been but that's all I knew. Messed around with some green dot as well for handicap shells. I switched over to Clays many years back. Caved in to peer pressure as to how great it was and how much cleaner than Red Dot it burnt. I must say I liked it and stuck with it for many years. During the so called fire shortage bs propaganda that went around I like many had trouble getting it. Went back to the Red Dot that is improved. I'll never go back to Clays. Alliant are good people. Never had an issue getting their powder. But I'm not buying powder by the one lb. cans. I try to keep enough around. Another
Great powder for 1 oz. loads is American Select. Reloads easy. Clean burning. I never buy Clays again. Alliant is manufactured here in the USA.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Started out in the early 70s with Winchester 452 and 473 then when super lite came out that was all I loaded. they were a little more expensive than
red dot or 700x but when it came to metering there was nothing that came close.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts