Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
2,622 Posts
My view is these were for the "Blue Rock Gun Club". It is obvious that these are quite old and are in great condition. Surely you want to keep them, but if not, they would be valuable to a collector of such items.

I would search on that club to see if it is in existence. It has no tie to the Remington Blue Rock Targets.

Are you looking to sell them? I would be interested in making an offer if so!

Scott Hanes

· Registered
6,285 Posts
The only California Blue Rock Gun Club I found was in San Jose.
Cleveland Target Co. introduced the “Blue Rock” targets in the late 1880s, and may have sponsored the award. 1897 was long before Remington acquired the Chamberlain Trap & Target Company and Blue Rock tradename in 1933.

Could the symbol be Masonic?

There was a Crescent City Gun Club in New Orleans.

· Registered
6,285 Posts
Found a Crescent Gun Club in Brooklyn in the 1890s

The club was in Whitehouse, N.J. in 1913

Probably not part of the Crescent Athletic Club
The Epic Rise and Fall of Bay Ridge’s Once Most-Important Institution | Hey Ridge

which did have a gun club; the New Mooners
GUNNERS SHOOT WELL.; Crescent Athletic Club Men Turn Out Strong at Bay Ridge Grounds. (Published 1910)

The club symbol was a Crescent Moon but it was turned to the left

Past and Present: The Crescent Athletic Club, Bay Ridge | Brownstoner

We're trying to help, but as Randy observed, it would help a great deal if we at least knew where the great-grandfather lived.

· Registered
6,285 Posts
February, 1895
The New Utrecht Rod & Gun Club, five men team, defeats teams from Coney Island, Crescent, Glenmore, Vernon, Northside, Atlantic, and Parkway Gun Clubs
May 23
The Citizen Almanac
June 1
C. Hubbell wins the Crescent Gun Club's $100 gem sweepstakes

· Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Drew, at the bottom of the Crescent Medal it's marked LA. Wouldn't that reference the New Orleans gun club you mentioned.
I'm surprised at the shooter on the 1897 medal....that looks pretty crude for back then.

Still, a couple of nice medals from years past. And we all know how much of those trophy's were thrown away.

Jimmy Bowen

· Registered
181 Posts
Well one thing that I see is the cursive letters of C C C. Lettering on medals from that time period for the most part signified the the Club. The Clubs had Matches some monthly & would rotate from Club to Club. The 1897 has me somewhat puzzled as the quality of the shooting metals are somewhat less than what I have had an opportunity to observe on other shooting metals from that time period & years before. Perhaps they were made by Blue Rock, the Chamberlain Target Co. The North Bros. who I think were part of the Chamberlain Target Co. were extra ordinary promoters of trap shooting & were very much outspoken about the professionals winning monies at matches. We can only speculate about such trophies. It would be a bonus to find some written info such as a Programe describing the Match that they were awarded. Well, my 2 cents as I enjoyed viewing them. I wish I had an opportunity to view each under a microscope. Thank you for posting.

· Registered
6,285 Posts
The 1895 Brooklyn Citizen Almanac listed notable sporting events by date, but the 1898 Daily Eagle did not.
I found no report in the Sporting Life archives.
If the owner has the interest, it is very likely there would be a news item in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle archives

This may be a rabbit hole (but interesting as to the number of trap / live bird clubs in NY at the turn-of-the-century) if the great-grandfather was from California :(

· Premium Member
2,622 Posts
A knowledgeable collector friend thinks it may be the Carteret Gun Club in New York which had ties to EC and Schultze Powder Company and trapshooting.

He has a collection of the Cleveland Target company products; traps, targets, live bird box and special trap pulling indicator they manufactured, and said it may be a joint shooting promotion at Carteret.

Scott Hanes

· Registered
6,285 Posts
Carteret Gun Club was established in 1883 in Bergen Point at the southern tip of Bayonne, New Jersey.
I'm looking to see if I can find the club logo.
They, along with the Riverton Gun Club in Riverton, New Jersey, on the banks of the Delaware north of Philadelphia, Blooming Grove, Tuxedo Gun Club, Larchmont were major sporting clubs offering Live Bird competitions until 1904 when New Jersey made live pigeon shooting illegal.

Randy has trophy cups from Carteret and Riverton
Trophies and Championship Cups

Carteret closed in 1900
Carteret buyout 1900 - Newspapers.com

but looks to have reopened in Garden City, N.J. as a "clay target" club in 1904.

Still shooting in 1905
Forest and Stream

October 1905 Sporting Life was the last report
Page 12 - The Sporting Life Collection - LA84 Digital Library

Scroll down about 1/2 way here for an image of the club

· Registered
6,285 Posts
The Carteret Club sponsored the "Amateur Live-Bird Championship of America" in 1898
Page 19 - The Sporting Life Collection - LA84 Digital Library
One hundred birds. Entrance, $100 ($2,500 today). Post entrance, $125. Moneys to be divided, 40 per cent., 25 per cent., 15 per cent., 10 per cent., and 10 per cent, to the club. All shooters to stand at thirty yards. On each day each contestant will be allowed one bye-bird. In case there be fourteen or more entries, the following rules shall apply:
The shooter who misses ten birds by the time the fiftieth round is finished, and thereby becomes tenth in place or lower, shall drop out without the privilege of reentry.
The shooter who misses sixteen birds by the time the seventy-fifth round is finished and thereby becomes eighth in place or lower, shall drop without privilege of reentry.
From the seventy-fifth round up to the finish, the referee shall retire (with privilege) those shooters who, in his opinion, have no chance of sharing in the moneys.

The Brooklyn Gun Club also shot at Dexter Park

Page 14 - The Sporting Life Collection - LA84 Digital Library
L.T. Duryea won the Buckeye cup at the Cartaret Gun Club, Garden City, L. I., March 29, killing 25 live birds straight. The cup was presented to the club by Chas. H. Stanley, of Cleveland, O., and is valued at $500. (> $15,000 today)

· Registered
6,285 Posts
The Crescent Moon appears to have been a popular shooting/club symbol

J. J. “U.M.C.” Hollowell, of Arizona, at Watson's Park, Chicago Dec. 1897. At that point he was living in Philadelphia and shot for the Florists’ Gun Club.
Looks to be an arrow through a crescent moon; the symbols of Artemis, the Greek goddess of the moon and the hunt.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice old medals... I would have to go along with Drew, from The Crescent City Gun Club. Who was his great grandfather?

Sportalluring
Hilly, Would you share the name of your Great Grandfather with the rest of us please?

We all like seeing these medals, and would love a name to go with them.
His name was George R. Blanchard

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found a Crescent Gun Club in Brooklyn in the 1890s

The club was in Whitehouse, N.J. in 1913

Probably not part of the Crescent Athletic Club
The Epic Rise and Fall of Bay Ridge’s Once Most-Important Institution | Hey Ridge

which did have a gun club; the New Mooners
GUNNERS SHOOT WELL.; Crescent Athletic Club Men Turn Out Strong at Bay Ridge Grounds. (Published 1910)

The club symbol was a Crescent Moon but it was turned to the left

View attachment 1751003

Past and Present: The Crescent Athletic Club, Bay Ridge | Brownstoner

We're trying to help, but as Randy observed, it would help a great deal if we at least knew where the great-grandfather lived.
Thank you all ! His name was George R. Blanchard and he lived in Los Angeles. I’m researching where he moved from and will update this shortly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.