Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used 28 to 410 ChamberMates and they patterned fine. You do have to be very careful putting them in, you have to get the ejector lined up or you will bend them. Keep in mind the 28 to 410 are pretty small. Get extra o-rings and lube them well.

Bill

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: I have used 12 to 20, 12 to 28, 20 to 410 and 28 to 410. They all work well. You do have to check your patterns and you may have to choke up one. They do leave the barrel a little dirty but just remove them and shoot 25 rounds to clean the barrel up. I do like that they don't change the balance of the gun and are small enough you can put them in your range bag. I have used them for skeet, 5-stand and trap. Going to try the 12 to 20 someday for sporting clays. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have a set as a back-up or for travel when I don't want to haul a carrier or dedicated sub barrel. Positives: They work surprisingly well. The 12>20 is virtually just like shooting a 12ga 7/8's load and no choke change required for me. The 12>28 you sometimes get a weak sounding load but for whatever reason still breaks targets as well as anything -- to wit, my buddy bought a set after winning a 28ga sub event borrowing mine. We debate back and forth whether or not we need to choke up 1 with the 28 -- we do not think so, and he won his even with his normal LM/M chokes in his 12 at a sporting event, but neither of us has shot them enough at clays to state absolutely. I had the lowest expectations for the 410, but it works amazingly well, also with my standard 12ga chokes in the gun. The 410 has a stinger tube to help get good burns from the 410 shells with their slower powders.

Negatives: There are a few negatives to both chamber adapters and sub-tubes. First is the extractors are not spring-loaded so they do not follow the parent guns extractor down, and if you are not careful when you close the gun, you will bend an extractor. Proper practice is to push them all the way in when you load, and keep barrels pointed downward to level as you close the action slowly, as opposed to whipping the barrels up to close as many shooters do. Second is that steel-base hulls can stick in the adapter and not want to eject. All manufactures, including Briley and Kolar for their tubessets, recommend using only Rem or Win premium brass based loads, so you need to factor in the added cost of premium ammo. Of course I tried anyway, the cheaper steel based loads do in fact stick and it is a major hassle to clear them, so plan on premium ammo. Last is for the Chambermates specifically, they require an O-ring to hold them in the chamber, and these O-rings are good for about 3 to 5 uses before needing to be replaced. Seminole is out of business so you have to go to a 3rd party vendor for replacements. Good news is there is a resource called O-ring city that offers a newer polymer material that holds up to the heat better -- we may in fact get 6 or 8 uses -- but they are relatively expensive at about $12 for a 6-pack.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
When I shot a lot of small gauge I used seminole chamber mates won several state championships with them. I am currently shooting briley's equivalent. Don't shoot enough small gauge anymore to be competitive,however the beauty point of the brileys you don't have o rings to contend with. I have an extra set of seminoles that I would part with.
As Jack and others have stated, you do a lot better with AA or Remington ammunition. Also as Jack stated make it a habit when closing your gun to push ejector down until it touches the guns ejectors.

Buster

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: The secret to make the "O" rings last is wrap them with 1 1/2-2 turns of teflon tape. I don't have to grease the Chamber Mate with the teflon tape installed. I still use the "O" ring under the tape. They stay tight and I think they seal better also. I shot my 12-20 gauge inserts today at skeet and trap. Factory AA #8 for both. I used Muller U1 for skeet which I normally do with 3/4oz 12 gauge loads and a Muller U3 @ the 22 for trap. The best "O" ring material is Viton. It works great for heat and oil. I use Viton "O" rings on my aircooled Porsche engines. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Eric, great tip on the teflon tape, I'll try it. And O-ring city does sell Viton O-rings for the Chambermates ;)

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Just remember, you cannot shoot 12 and 20 at the same time using an insert or other wise. Against the rules.

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it is against the rules in "Registered" ATA events. The rule came about because some people were shooting" doubles" with a 20 Ga. skeet tube in their first barrel. It was to prevent dropping a 20 Ga. shell inadvertently into the 12 Ga. barrel, then loading a 12 Ga. shell behind it. If I was going to shoot an O/U with one, shooting one at a time, I would block off the 12 Ga. barrel with a snap cap. At one time somebody made a .410 insert called a "Four tenner" or at least I think that is what it was called ! We played some games with it in my buddies Browning O/U from the 16 yard line. It was a hoot and I actually wound up breaking several. If I bought the insert, I would mainly want to get two anyway in order to shoot skeet with my O/U.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: The Chamber Mates only came in pairs. The Gauge Mates you can buy just one but they don't work the same way. The Briley's look nice but seem a little pricey to me and they don't make them for 20 or 28 gauge guns. Thanks, Eric

·
Premium Member
12,913 Posts
These two provide vast quantities of O-rings

http://www.oringsusa.com/

http://www.applerubber.com/products/o-rings.cfm?referrer=google_o-rings

Apple Rubber is great to work with - they typically send out samples for you to try. When Seminole was still up and running I put the two in contact with each other - and I think Apple became their source.

One note is that their selling practices requires substantial numbers... Might be worth a group getting together and doing a 'bulk buy' together...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found the best way to remove chamber mates used in a 12 ga. barrel is to fashion a dowel with a 28 ga used hull screwed into the end of the dowel. Much easier to use than the seminole provided
extraction tool.
Using .410 chamber mates in a 28 ga. barrel I use a used .410 hull with the lip filed off.
The .410 chamber mates in the 28 ga. barrel are short (unlike the ones for the 12 ga.) and you will get shots that sound like duds, but they still work.
Only used for skeet and I found no need to tighten the chokes beyond skeet constriction.
Also, you might try the teflon tape made for gas fittings. A bit more hefty than the standard teflon tape.
I used reloads (STS and AA hulls) with no problems. You do have to be sure that your reloader resizes to factory specs. My Spolar does not resize .410 hulls small enough for Kolar tubes or Chamber Mates
so as a matter or practice I separately resize them to factory specs using a MEC super sizer.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: The only way to get Chamber Mates is by finding used ones. They are out there since lots of guys bought them and don't use them. I use mine a lot in my 12 to 20, 12 to 28 and 28 to 410. I sold the 20 to 410 since I bought a set of used 20 to 410 Kolar tubes. Thanks, Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts