Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, so a week or so ago, I found another SKB that I liked the looks of.
It is an 1993 885 Target 12ga.

the only problem with it, is the cursed "wont eject cheap shells"
although there is degradation from rust in the chambers - past the typical depth of target shell brass/steel head,that was cleaned up.
It does eject AA. Shells fired from a BT-99, both gun club and Rem Nitro drop right in, no problem.

allow me please to post two pictures. they show, basically that a fired from gun, GC shell wont go back in, shows where it stops.

Using Mitutoyo dig. calipers, the top meaures .8180 dia about .2" in.
The bottom measures .8195. Did my best to get a true measurement.
So its .003 give or take, oversize ? Sammi says .8111, with tolerance of +.005 for 3" chamber.

I am interested in learning your knowledge, opinions, of why it sticks so bad.
Is it the Chamber dimensions ? or ? thanks very much - really appreciate.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
What with the cracked metal at the bottom of the chamber or shell?

Looks like it may be part of the shell brass, yet also looks like it is part of the guns chamber.

Jason

·
Registered
291 Posts
Buy a MEC stand-alone sizer, live happily ever after.
Mike B

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What with the cracked metal at the bottom of the chamber or shell?

Looks like it may be part of the shell brass, yet also looks like it is part of the guns chamber.

Jason
in top pic? the rim has a mark probably where I extracted it at or something.
otherwise
Steel base of shell, contacting the chamber. Extractors removed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy a MEC stand-alone sizer, live happily ever after.
Mike B
A reloader setup with sizing and shoot the good stuff only. Spreadsheet says it is maybe,maybe.. 6 bucks versus 9 or so. For AA/STS.
Off the shelf gun club and Win super x wont eject at all, lol

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
How about the same picture, but without the hull.

Also a picture of just that particular hull, couple of angles.

Jason

·
Registered
695 Posts
We don't quite have enough information about the chamber. It should taper from back to the front. Assuming it does with no abnormalities, it's surface finish. If it has irregularities or reverse taper, that would easily explain the observation.

-Scot

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Suggest you have the chamber polished. Every new shell expands when fired so the plastic does move and likely just enough to make more contact with the chamber wall than an un-fired shell. The head of the GC and many other shells is steel with a plated surface which expands on firing but does not contract much. The brass head on an STS or Nitro and the Winchester AA expand and contract, so are less likely to stick.
In my view, the chamber is the culprit. Cleaning the rust may not have been good enough, hence a good polishing by a competent gunsmith is my recommendation.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bottom chamber now ejects GC about 5 feet back

Top chamber no go.

I think the ejector is binding.

I honed the chambers with 400 and 800 chamber flex hones, they look much better
Also put in new ejector springs.

SKB told me the gun was last in for a new ejector, in 2003... they didn’t know which one , but my bet it’s the top one . It’s also stamped with a part number on the backside. It’s free of burrs, but maybe the top ejector area of the barrel block is worn

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hello, so a week or so ago, I found another SKB that I liked the looks of.
It is an 1993 885 Target 12ga.

the only problem with it, is the cursed "wont eject cheap shells"
although there is degradation from rust in the chambers - past the typical depth of target shell brass/steel head,that was cleaned up.
It does eject AA. Shells fired from a BT-99, both gun club and Rem Nitro drop right in, no problem.

allow me please to post two pictures. they show, basically that a fired from gun, GC shell wont go back in, shows where it stops.

Using Mitutoyo dig. calipers, the top meaures .8180 dia about .2" in.
The bottom measures .8195. Did my best to get a true measurement.
So its .003 give or take, oversize ? Sammi says .8111, with tolerance of +.005 for 3" chamber.

I am interested in learning your knowledge, opinions, of why it sticks so bad.
Is it the Chamber dimensions ? or ? thanks very much - really appreciate.

I recently had an ejector on a 85 tss fail. It cracked where the long part that moves along the mono block makes the rt. angle turn to support the rim. It did seem to flex away from the shell for several rounds before bending at about 45 degrees. You might check with a magnifier for evidence of a crack. I have no idea of the round count as I bought it used,but I sent several thousand through it myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts