Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Graf's has brought back the Challenger shell produced in Canada. A very good shotshell!

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I would love to try 'em. Some stuff from my collection.
image.jpg

·
Registered
554 Posts
Challenger shells are complete garbage IMHO. I'm in Ontario & where I am they charge $79.99 for a case of these shells. Probably out of every case (250 shells), 3-5 shells FTF. These shells also use cheddite primers which from what I am told are European made?.. There's a a member @ my club that in the past shot these shells all the time, but has had troubles with the shells ejecting out of his 1100 competition synthetic. (Quite likely not the gun). I've never had luck either with these shells, & will only ever be fired out of my guns as a last resort (& even then, probably not due to their hard primers).. (Don't want them damaging my firing pins). Majority of shooters @ my club use them, why.. I can only assume because of availability & a short driving distance. Our club has a box (probably two) of all the FTF shells due to whatever reason; likely being the primer. Every time I shoot there's someone who has troubles with these shells. I'll stick with my topguns & estates, never let me down yet. & possibly in the future gun clubs!
-ithaca

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I would love to try 'em. Some stuff from my collection.
View attachment 311183
I broke one of my first 200 straights with those blue suckers. Some guy on my squad was making fun of them until we finished;then he asked where I bought them. :)

Ithaca, you posted just ahead of me. Just to be fair; It was 2001 when I first shot these shells. Things certainly may have changed since then. As is the case with a lot of other brands of shells.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've used them for a long time, not a failure, and $61.95 a flat in Ontario. Never had any failures,
Cheddite primers are great, that's more than I can say about Federal primers.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Challenger shells are complete garbage IMHO. I'm in Ontario & where I am they charge $79.99 for a case of these shells. Probably out of every case (250 shells), 3-5 shells FTF. These shells also use cheddite primers which from what I am told are European made?.. There's a a member @ my club that in the past shot these shells all the time, but has had troubles with the shells ejecting out of his 1100 competition synthetic. (Quite likely not the gun). I've never had luck either with these shells, & will only ever be fired out of my guns as a last resort (& even then, probably not due to their hard primers).. (Don't want them damaging my firing pins). Majority of shooters @ my club use them, why.. I can only assume because of availability & a short driving distance. Our club has a box (probably two) of all the FTF shells due to whatever reason; likely being the primer. Every time I shoot there's someone who has troubles with these shells. I'll stick with my topguns & estates, never let me down yet. & possibly in the future gun clubs!
-ithaca
My experience has been just the opposite. I did have a few failures to fire in the first couple of flats I bought, but I don't have that problem anymore. I'm paying $61.95 per flat at Hummason's in Ancaster, Ontario. The components are Cheditte and are imported into Quebec and assembled there. I've shot a huge pile of them over the last 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My experience has been just the opposite. I did have a few failures to fire in the first couple of flats I bought, but I don't have that problem anymore. I'm paying $61.95 per flat at Hummason's in Ancaster, Ontario. The components are Cheditte and are imported into Quebec and assembled there. I've shot a huge pile of them over the last 3 or 4 years.
friend of mine gave me a couple thousand once fired challenger hulls, been loading them like a federal hull. shoot once and in the trash.
jack mc

·
Banned
818 Posts
I shot a couple hundred flats of them back when they were popular, don't recall having any problems with them or I would remember it ... The Handicap version were lightning fast ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's all the shoot right now (@ $65 a flat out the door). 1 1/8oz in 7.5 target and handicap loads. 16000+ and not one FTF.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My experiences with them;

Pro;

- Shot appears to be good quality
- Clean burning
- Smokes clays very well (as lo0ng as you are on them etc.)
- Price

Con;

- Pierced Primers, I know some don't but both my 1984 Citori Grade I Trap and 2005 BT-99 pierce approx. 1/3 of them
- Pressure somewhat inconsistent? when shooting my 1100 Classic Trap or Competition Synthetic I find that 5 or 6 out of a box of 25 will cause the bolt to slam back hard and the shell usually jumps through the Birchwood Casey shell catcher. This does not happen with my reloads or Win. Super Targets.

I have stopped using them because of the "Cons" I have experienced. YMMV

Reactions: bossbasl
1 - 14 of 14 Posts