Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being disabled I have to shoot from a sitting position. Which consists of a rolling walker which I have to use going post to post.
My club tells me that I do not qualify as a chair shooter. But to me the rules say I am.
Yes I will talk to my delegate, but I would like to hear some opinions on this.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The chair shooter designation is assigned by the CHC. Send them a request they will make the decision. If you are granted Chair Shooter Status you will recieve a new average card with the new category. It has nothing to do with your local club.

Shawn

·
Registered
22,755 Posts
Only shooters that have a permanent disability or condition that requires them to shoot from other than a standing position shall qualify for the Chair Category.
1. The Chair category designation will be assigned only by the Central Handicap Committee or Zone CHC representative upon request by each individual shooter and a new average card will be issued with the Chair Designation.
2. Shooters with a temporary condition that requires a scooter or other type of device are not qualified for Chair Category.
This rule does not in any way prohibit any shooter from shooting from a
chair, stool, scooter or any other seating device.

So. Apply to the CHC and get you a card with CHAIR SHOOTER on it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's what I did as stated above. Plus I had to have my Doctor sign a piece of paper stating as such. Now my card has ''CHAIR SHOOTER'' on it. Good luck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am not a CHC member . What I have seen happen is . You must shoot from a chair or stool . You cannot stand or shoot from a motorized cart . Or behind a walker. There was a man that lost a leg to cancer . And wanted to shoot from a golf cart as a chair shooter category . The ATA would not let him. their response was you have to shoot from a chair . You can only have one arm , or one leg , Or both . But if you don't shoot from a chair , I don't think you will qualify as a chair shooter . My hat is off to you for your will to shoot .

·
Registered
22,755 Posts
I am not a CHC member . What I have seen happen is . You must shoot from a chair or stool . You cannot stand or shoot from a motorized cart . Or behind a walker. There was a man that lost a leg to cancer . And wanted to shoot from a golf cart as a chair shooter category . The ATA would not let him. their response was you have to shoot from a chair . You can only have one arm , or one leg , Or both . But if you don't shoot from a chair , I don't think you will qualify as a chair shooter . My hat is off to you for your will to shoot .
Did you READ his post?

He shoots SITTING on a rolator walker.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Did you READ his post?

He shoots SITTING on a rolator walker.
Don,
Just a little off the subject but i had a good friend, A member at Buckley,who was a excellent shooter, that you probably knew, used to shoot from a crutch under his left arm (left leg cut off at the hip). They gave him grief saying he was shooting with a artificial support and could not do that. HONEST *****!! Same man went to renew his handicap plates and the clerk informed him he would need a letter from his doctor saying he was handicapped!! Standing in front of the counter on crutches with one leg. He and i had many a laugh over these events even though they were not really funny.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd think, based on what you've described, you'd be classified as Chair Shooter. What that club chooses to independently interpret your needs as would make me question whether I'd continue shooting there. I say that as a close friend of multiple wheelchair-bound trapshooters, who have seen their share of passive-aggressive discrimination.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am trying to find information regarding what type motorized scooter or motorized wheelchair is best suited for trapshooting. I injured my back, pelvis, and femur in a fall from a tree stand and am unable to stand long enough to shoot 25 targets.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
The Doctors and PT worked with me for a year and all agree I’d have to shoot seated in my rollator walker. As much as I fought it I realize they are correct. I haven’t shot registered targets since the Sunday before my car wreck nearly 2 years ago. I can’t stand long enough to compete anymore after breaking my back in 3 places and being fused for 8 vertebrae. My Orthopedic Surgeon said my condition is permanent so I need to learn how to accept it and move on. I‘m on the 26.5 yard line and want to make the 27 again.

If I can get back and shoot ATA registered targets again should I apply for a chair shooter designation? What do you fellow shooters think?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have had my back pinned and fused in the total Lumbar region, and the lower two vertebrae in the Thoracic region. This has occurred due to breaking
my back on a couple of occasions. I can walk, and stand up, but due the muscle loss in my lower back if I stand to shoot I'll get blown over backwards and
fall. I shoot from a stool, and without it I wouldn't shoot trap. If I had to go through all this crap with doctors and ATA committees I'd quit. If anyone has
a problem I'll show the scars.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You don't know and appreciate what you have till you can't walk or stand . When I started shooting trap I used a cane and hung it on my pocket while shooting . After years walking with drop foot from a botched operation that left me paralyzed from the neck down. I worked at rehabilitation for over a year to get back to walking with that cane. Well I also walked my way back to the wheelchair over a twenty year time span. So I did shoot from a electric scooter , even made the All American PVA Team. It was work and practice everyday to earn money to shoot , reload , practice 500 rnds minimum a week year round rain snow heat cold , it didn't stop me. Going to every shoot I could drive to hotels everything . Do I think your handicapped and should shoot as a chair scooter ABSOLUTELY. Some may cheat but you can tell . One of my buddies heard some guys talking when they were squadded with me saying oh hes gonna hold us up . Bill my buddy told them yes and hes gonna kick all your asses. Don't underestimate the handicapped we can kick ass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts