Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very technologically challenged. Just purchased my first smart phone 4 months ago. Recently while planting wheat I had a deer hunter show up and tell me that he had been watching me all day, of which I found a bit disturbing and annoying, but that is another topic. My question is do you need a cellular plan to go with the cellular camera. I am thinking about watching the watchers or possibly just eliminating the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
You need a plan but they’re usually different phone phone plans in that they’re not long term. Can just do 3 months in the fall for example.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have AT&T because we have a tower 1 1/2 miles from the house. Do we purchase from them or somewhere else. And what would one expect to pay.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
When you buy the camera you’d choose one that connects to at&t then. Each model comes with options for the different carriers.

Spartans cost about $300 And are good, Reconyx about $600 and are really good.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Before buying a cellular trail camera, go to where you plan to put it and see if you have a cellular signal on your phone. If there is no cellular signal to your phone, you will be SOL with a cellular trail camera.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before buying a cellular trail camera, go to where you plan to put it and see if you have a cellular signal on your phone. If there is no cellular signal to your phone, you will be SOL with a cellular trail camera.
Thanks for the heads up. Majority of my property has good signal. Do the cameras still take pictures if they lose signal?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
They will take a picture, but not be able to send it to your phone. Apparently there are boosters (or something like that) that you can get to bump up the cellular signal so it can reach your phone, but I have no idea how they work or how much they cost. When I worked in the gun shop I sold a bunch of cellular cameras to a logging company security guy for use on gates and equipment, and he told me about the boosters he used because most of the sites he put cameras didn't have cell service. I didn't really understand it at the time, and now it's years later, I'm older, and CRAFT syndrome has struck.

·
Registered
367 Posts
They will take pictures and save them to a SD card. I have two Spartans and have been satisfied with them. One I use on a farm gate for security after a break in. It is best to use with another standard camera with video or 3 shot burst. The cellular cameras tend to be a little slow to reset and send another pix. Maybe other brands are better or faster than mine.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I have a SPYPOINT works great very easy to use pretty much on/off most options are done with the app. You can change the plan month to month also so in the winter I go free plan then mid summer/fall I up the plan although I ran out this month over a 1000 pics in October.
They offer two phone plans Verizon and all others pick all others if you have AT&T.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts