Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am painting my cellar floor in my reloading area which has been painted in the past with Sherwin Williams oil based floor paint which is no longer available. Tried Behr latex floor paint over part of the area and it is not doing well. It marks easily and under pressure it seems to peal off. I guess you should not use latex over oil. Any suggestions on a good paint for this situation?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If it were me I would talk with Sherwin Williams and see what they recommend. As long as you know what the original Sherwin product was, or even when it was purchased, they can surely help you.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
You can still get oil based primer. That should help but floor paints any more are junk. They mark and scratch easily.

I would go with one of the new snap together floors.

Good luck
Bill

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to Sherwin Williams and they told be to sand off all the old oil based paint and redo with latex!

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Cover it with solvent based epoxy floor paint by Rust-Oleum. Preparation is crucial though, and you would probably have to strip off the paint. It is good stuff though once it is done. No moisture is allowed through it either.

I did my whole garage floor with it. Plan on doing my gun vault floor also. Already sealed the walls with Behr waterproof, basement wall paint.

Regular floor paint just does not last.
stlflyn_2010_0704262.jpg

stlflyn_2010_0704261.jpg

·
Molon Labe
11,992 Posts
The stuff Jon posted the pictures about is some good stuff, we redid a floor and shot peened the concrete just a little, it makes it adhere a little better

The stuff we used wasn't Rustoleum I can't remember who made it but they were the ones who said to shot peen it

·
Registered
93 Posts
We did the concrete floor in our trap range clubhouse with the 2 part epoxy made by Valspar, or sold by Valspar(?). We did it about 6-7 years ago as I recall. It has a lot of traffic and we are beginning to see problems of it lifting in spots. I suspect it's caused by wet seeping into scratched areas which then spreads under the epoxy. Don't know what we're going to do about it. We have a contact at Valspar to get in touch with.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
The water based two part epoxy is much more susceptible to adhesion loss. Like other water based paints and finishes, the material stays on the surface. With oil, or chemical based finishes the material actually soaks into the wood, or concrete as it would apply in this case. That is why etching the concrete with some sort of acid wash is crucial, for the material to adhere to. Also, make sure the concrete was not originally sealed.

This is what my beautiful garage floor looks like now. LOL. Come spring, I just sweep up the salt, sand, and grime, and give it a scrubbing along with washing the remainder down the drain, and it looks like new again. Any rust stains, along with everything else, come right off.
stlflyn_2010_070424.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts