Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 phones on Airfire, formerly Einstein. I have 1000 minutes, wifey has 200. cost is around 43 dollars a month plus 3 bucks or so taxes etc. I can receive text but not send, unlimited long distance.

HM

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Was in the same boat....

We don't use the phone that much. Ordering pizza on the way home, AAA, pick you up in ten minutes, that kind of stuff.

We have a Verizon pre-paid plan with our own purchased no frill phones. I think the phones cost me $40 each a few years back. Just had to make sure they could be activated on Verizon (found on an internet search).

We filled each plan with $100 (I think the minimum for one year) and for me the plan last the complete year without having to add any additional monies. A dollar a day network activation fee. If you don't use that day, no fee. Verizon to Verizon call are free.

Have it on auto-renew (goes below $5) and/or for annual renew.

I use it both in the US (up and down the east coast) and Canada (extra fee per call). I did have to activate the phone for use in Canada. It was not easy to find how to do on the Verizon website.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Try Tracfone and port the number you already have . The number belongs to the carrier so you'll have the same carrier but will pay as you go . Check Tracfone's web site .
Done this many years ago and cut my bill by 300% . My usage was the same as yours .

DAN in Pa

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I've tried a bunch of them and Consumer Cellular has worked out great for me, they have several different plans from I think $15 per month. I had the 700 minutes per month for $30 but they have raised it to 1100 I seldom used the 700 minutes unless a bunch of my buddies drunk dialed me LOL

And I have been in quite a few remote places and got a signal when my wife's trac phone wouldn't

·
Just getting by.....
1,075 Posts
Check out Walmart's prepaid plans they have several plans from different carriers starting at $35 per month. You can port your number to any of them.

Tim

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have Metro PCS $40 per month you can buy a phone for $25.00 I have better service than my wife and Daughter who sre on ATT

·
Registered
606 Posts
My wife an I each have a tracfone and have had the brand for 12 or so years. We have had them from coast to coast and from Canada to Florida. Never had a dropped call and never problem getting a signal. We can get calls where our daughters Verison phone will not.

ctreay

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Tracfone...has a phone for 79.95 It is bluetooth compatible so I can use it hands free in my car. You buy minute cards as you need them. The phone gives triple minutes for life. I buy a 400 minute card for $99 and get 1200 minutes for the year. They generally give you a couple hundred bonus minutes when you buy a phone so after transferring the minutes from my old phone I ended up with about 1800 minutes. I bought at Best Buy and their geeks are great at helping as the closest I am to a geek is watching the Big Bang Theory. You can also order from the Tracfone website. I like it! Good Luck whatever you choose. ed

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check out Page Plus, they use the Verizon network so your phone should work. Wife has the $12.00 plan, and I have the $55.00 which is unlimited minutes and text with 2.5 gigs of data. We have been very happy with them and have service every where we go.

Dave

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Those over the phone service representatives are trained to tell customers there's noting they can do to save you money first, until you threaten to leave, then they'll have all kinds of programs to offer. But Verizon is expensive anyway. Consider they are still using the old CDMA system.

Don't worry about you number, you can keep your number with any other carriers now, you don't have to stay with the same carrier to keep your number.

JFYR, T-mobile has a $50 plan with unlimited talk, text, and some data included.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
For a no contract, ability to change your plan in the middle of the month cell phone service provider, Consumer Cellular is the best bang for the buck. Check it out at the link above.

Eric

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have AT&T and they are always not wanting to negotiate. Someone tipped me off to ask for the Retention Dept.--they have the power to negotiate especially if you threaten to leave them. It has worked for me for the last 5 or 6 years!!!!
David's mom

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
One poster said Metro PCS, they are good but the service area is quite limited, we live about 50 miles NNE of Dallas and I bought one of their phones, when I was still in town I made a bunch of calls, and then went home, when I got home I had no service, so I went back to them to check into it the lady said she could add service by getting me on another tower, I told her I work in the sticks, and one more tower really might not do much good, I told her I just wanted to drop the service, she said is I did I would lose my number, so I got Consumer Cellular, and Metro PCS wouldn't refund my money for the phone I had bought and used for one day because I was over either 30 minutes or an hour, I can't remember but it was real chicken $hit to me

If you never leave thier area it would be good

That was a couple years ago they might have changed my now, but it still torqued me off it cost me $119 for a phone that didn't work, I still even had the plastic film covering the display on the phone

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Beware of the verizon $40 plan, by the time they add all the "fees" to the bill, you will be paying $60 plus.

I have used a basic pay as you go Trac Fone for 6 years. I bought the phone with a coupon for $6.88. It came with a program that gives me a "free" minute for every minute I buy. A $40 pre paid card lasts me 6 weeks. I have had PERFECT sevice all the time. It costs 3 cents to send or receive a text.

At the same time my wifes Verizon basic phone with no features is at the minimum $58.00 and usually goes about $90 per month when they charge for overages. It costs 20 cents to send or receive a text. Her phone is a basic, no frills flip phone just like mine. She dropped it and broke it. Verizon wants over $200 to replace the phone. The contract ends soon, they will no longer have us as customers.

The Company that is TracFone has a program called NET10. It is unlimited phone/text/data for $50/month flat rate. The phone they sell you is $60, and has more screen features than we will ever use. How can you beat $60 buy in and $50/month for unlimited service? Since it is the same company that I am already happy with, I am sure the service will work out fine, and since there is no contract, you can cancel anytime you want.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Consumer Cellular still it the best deal, 1100 minutes for $30, and they really do have good service

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I would switch to T mobile, but I never use the 1100 minutes I have now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts