Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Unbelievably neglient. Gun should ONLY EVER be loaed when on the trap line and ready to shoot. I am a youth coach and we drill it into the kids constantly that we cant have ONE mistake. This is not like any other activity they will do. There is no excuse for this.

·
Vendor
5,182 Posts
While I don't doubt that someone was shot the chain of events leading up to it sounds like a cover up to protect someone. Angle of entry on the wound would be very revealing.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Wow, not good for the sport or the high school program, I would think that the very first thing they learn in a shooting program is GUN SAFETY, I doubt they learned that having a loaded gun in a vehicle is safe ???

Hope the person shot in the leg recovers fully and that this doesn't shut down their program.

·
Registered
540 Posts
"leaned the gun against their vehicle. The gun fell over and discharged striking another student in the lower leg."

A few years ago in Oklahoma a loaded shotgun was leaned up against a ATV side by side. The side by side was bumped and the shotgun fell and fired hitting a teenager at very close range and killing him. The boy killed was the grandson of a very good friend of mine. Grampa has today not gotten over losing his grandson.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I doubt the instructors failed. Lessons are an opportunity to learn.
How students implement their lessons is their responsibility.

The student somehow failed to ensure the gun was empty going into the car, and being taken out of the car.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Lot of Clark Counties in the country. Where?
The cited news story is from the Northeasten Missouri news net. According to which the student was life flighted to the University of Iowa Hospital. The gunshot injury was non-life threatening.

·
Registered
368 Posts
While I don't doubt that someone was shot the chain of events leading up to it sounds like a cover up to protect someone. Angle of entry on the wound would be very revealing.
Interesting as my first thought was how would a gun leaned against a car fire from tipping over?? Shotguns aren’t tested to be drop safe like pistols?? I actually don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
This is why we stress safety as much as we do in our youth program. I can't imagine why anyone would transport their shotgun while loaded. Accidents such as these don't help youth shooting sports. Hopefully the victim makes a complete recovery and the offender was suspended from the program.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If story is accurate then the instructor(s) failed in teaching proper safety procedures.
I'm not sure I can agree with you on this one. You can teach proper safety practices every day, but once you entrust an individual to handle a gun on their own without direct supervision, their choices and actions are theirs.
Unfortunately when it comes to guns, one mistake can be life changing and life ending.
If you are handling a gun, you own what happens with it

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The original safety failure occurred when the shooter left the field last time. Shouldn't the actions be open when carrying the gun on and off the field and to and from the vehicle?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts