Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of what I've seen published shows the CCI 209M to closer to Fed. 209A. Ross Puls

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
The CCI209M is not as hot as the Federal209A primer, but it's close. I called CCI and asked. According to CCI "On a Federal 209A recipe the CCI 209M primer could be substituted but not the other way around."

As an example, on a scale from 1 to 10 the Federal would be a 10. The CCI would be 9.5.

Ajax

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I don't know if I'd want to swap those primers without being sure I have enough headroom for a pressure increase. I use a lot of those two primers and there are some loads that I would not want to try it with. The type of hull, powder, wad, and other factors can have a dramatic effect on how a particular primer performs. You'd probably be ok with loads that are significantly under maximum, but I would not try it with certain faster powders near/at the max pressure limits. You also have no way of knowing what effect it would have on pressure variations, unless you have pressure testing facilities. Variations can be trouble if the swing is significant.

I use both of these primers as a go-to in very cold weather, for some hard to ignite powders. Some of the listed data is close, but not all loads. Just look for similar data for the primer you are going to use and adjust the load if needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts