Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get data on cci primers for loading Remington hulls with 700x powder figure 8 wads 1 1/8 shot. Not a lot of info for CCI

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
You are right there is little out there with CCI 209 primers.

Lyman's 5th has the following:

Win AA, CCI209, 19.5 gr 700x, Rem RXP12, 1 1/8 oz shot, 1240 f/s @ 11,000.

Win AA, Win 209, 18.5 700x, Rem RXP12, 1 1/8 oz shot, 1205 f/s @ 11,000.
Win AA, Win 209, 18.0 gr 700x, Rem Fig 8, 1 1/8 oz, 1201 f/s @11200 psi.

Rem STS/Nitro, Rem 209P, 18.0 gr 700x, Rem Fig 8, 1 1/8 oz shot, 1190 f/s @ 10900.
Rem STS/Nitro, Win 209, 17.0 gr 700x, Rem Fig 8, 1 1/8 oz shot, 1181 f/s @ 10,500

Between this and what is on Hodgdon's site, you could make up some loads to be tested.

Jason

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
It's always baffled me why Alliant does not include more CCI primer load data than it does. CCI is owned by the same company that owns both Alliant and Federal. Having data is the only way to sell your components. The only excuse I can think of is they don't want to cannibalize the market for Federal 209A.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
It's always baffled me why Alliant does not include more CCI primer load data than it does. CCI is owned by the same company that owns both Alliant and Federal. Having data is the only way to sell your components. The only excuse I can think of is they don't want to cannibalize the market for Federal 209A.
Trouble is, they miss way too many chances to show data in AA or Rem. hulls with that 209A primer that I really like. Always consistent results with that hummer.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Trouble is, they miss way too many chances to show data in AA or Rem. hulls with that 209A primer that I really like. Always consistent results with that hummer.
This is a separate issue with the Alliant data. Generally, you only see loads for Federal hulls with Federal primers, loads with Win hulls with Win primers and loads for Rem hulls with Rem primers.

If you want to see lots of data for CCI primers, look at the Accurate data.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nebs, did you mean to look at Accurate data? I don't see anything on that site about shotshell data. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Also there is CCI 109. I believe that it does not have a cover over the primer explosive, so it is not to be used with fine grain powder. Win ball powder and TiteWad and TiteGroup. It is ok with larger grain powder, Alliant Dots and Hodgdon Clays.

Jason

·
Registered
831 Posts
Also there is CCI 109. I believe that it does not have a cover over the primer explosive,...
There was such a primer at one time. They were identical to the 209 primers except for the plating. I don't know how many years it's been since they were made.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I contacted Hodgdon many years ago and they said that any primer substitution was ok if other loads were identical and the pressures were below 8400 PSI. I have since read 8500 PSI, but I am sure they were covering their Butt back then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nebs, I think you may have nailed it... don't want to create their own brand competition between CCI and Fed !

·
Registered
243 Posts
Over 20 years ago I used quite a lot of the CCI 209's, good stuff.

One thing I noticed back then was that they were a slightly larger diameter than Federals.
No problem as long as you stuck with CCI, but if you went back to the Federals in those same hulls the primers were now somewhat loose in the pockets.

I want to emphasize this was a long time ago, so dimensions could have easily changed since then.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you look in reloading manuals from the powder manufatures, you'll see different primers don't make a big difference. I'm not including CCI 209M or Fed 209A, which are a bit hotter and take a tad less powder, and I'm talking about loading at mid range pressures. That's why that 8500psi number was published. Now if you're one of them that like high pressures, that would be different, and I'd stick with recommended loads. The only primers I've noticed bigger are the RIOs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts