Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reload remington hulls. I was using rem primers but they were getting too expensive. So I switched to CCI I noticed they were not seating flush, but by a very very small amount. It seems like CCI has a bugle build. Winchester fit just fine though. My question is is it just the build of the CCI primers that cause them to seat a little off. And the other if a primer isn't totally set what is the danger to the shooter and the gun?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The problem is that every now and then the primer pocket of the Rem hull folds over the top of the primer. The Rem 209P primer is a little shorter than everybody else. The easy but tedious fix if you cannot make your press force the primer in is to take a #1 drill bit a 15/64 will also work if you cannot get a #1 bit and ream out every hull.

As long as the action can close you can go ahead and shoot those that the primer did not fit flush.

Jason

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
I have seen that happen before when using the CCI primers in the Gun Club hulls. It did not make any difference in my O/U or my semi auto. I never tried reaming the primer pocket in the hull.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Because of availability, I recently used CCI primers in 1,000 20 gauge reloads with Rem Premiere hulls. They didn't seem to seat all the way ( visually) but never wobbled when set on their bases from several different directions, not just straight up/down. They did seat fine though in a few 20 gauge Win CF hulls.

Long story short, those Rem reloads scorched/burned the faces of two of my 20 gauge receivers, one being a K-80. I'll not use them EVER again, in any reloads. I'll stick to W209's. Just my way ya know........YMMV.

Ernie

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I reload remington hulls. I was using rem primers but they were getting too expensive. So I switched to CCI I noticed they were not seating flush, but by a very very small amount. It seems like CCI has a bugle build. Winchester fit just fine though. My question is is it just the build of the CCI primers that cause them to seat a little off. And the other if a primer isn't totally set what is the danger to the shooter and the gun?
Shot shell primers vary in dimension. This very useful chart shows the dimensional differences between those 209 size primers.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Ernie, in your case, the powder flash leaked out between the hull and the primer? or did the primer itself leak back,? I have never seen that. I guess either way I would not shoot them again either.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've loaded a few thousand without issue, they don't feed very well through my MEC primer tray so when I finish off the last 10k I have that will probably be it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
For the above reasons is why I have 9,900 of those dam things that I can't get rid of. They don't feed well in the MEC primer tray, no matter how much wax you use. Then they don't seat well in the Remington hulls.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Leo,......it would appear the flash leaked out from between the "not fully seated primers" and the hull, judging by the size of the circle and the scorching. I had a terrible time cleaning off the mess and the carbon burn, a tiny bit still remains but I refuse to use my dental tools on the receivers. Both guns closed easily however. Go figure......

Ernie

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I used some cci regular and magnums a few years ago,

It appeared to me that the seated fine. this was in AA, STS and I think some gun club hulls too.

what a did observe was that it appeared to me they were a tad undersized and I had more blow by around them than other primers I was using, which would have been winchester 209's and maybe a few federal 209A's, then later I saw the same thing with some 209A's

these were in very low mileage and mainly once fired hulls.

I actually discovered a flat of 20 gauge 3/4 oz loads with them, and the few boxes I ran through my low mileage 525 sporting clays gun did in fact leave nasty marks on the breech face,

the rest of those will go through the old 870 express....:12:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts