Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI #257 Primers?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Tripod 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me about CCI #257 primers? I found a couple of boxes of these with my Federal 209A primers I use for Federal papers. I think the box says "for Remington shotshells".

I cannot find anything on the CCI website or on Hodgdons.

#3 ·
Don't know for sure but they're probably the old Rem #57,, smaller than the 209s. Rem. phased they out about 25 yrs. ago. They were about the same strength as WW. 209s. Just deprime a hull & see if they fall in & fall out. not too many hulls left anymore that use that primer. Ross Puls

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I will measure them when I get home. In my 41 years of reloading, I have only reloaded AA hulls (old style)and Federal papers - except some STS in the last two years. Thought these primers were for the Fed papers, but I cannot remember. You guys are correct - they are old as I have had them for longer than I can remember.

#9 ·
Stl Flyn - that is exactly what I have. I double checked as I was originally going from memory. They are CCI #157. I measured them - they taper from about .225 up to .230. My Win209 taper.240-.246. The CCI primer would probably be too loose.

I have no shells for them. I guess I will just take them to the club and give them to someone that can use them. I'll measure the Federal 209s but assume they will be about the same as the Winchester.

#10 ·
Rem 57 and CCI 157 primers are dead as a Dodo, unless you have some old (pre 80's) Remington field hulls. The target hulls beginning with the All-American have 209 size primers. Remington Field loads into the early 80's used 57 primers.

Beware the Remington hulls that take 57 primers, they have a composition base wad. The base wad can break down and a piece can clog the flash hole. The result is a du or a hang fire.

The only use I have for CCI 157's is in a muzzle loader barrel for an 1100. You have to seat the primer through the ejection port. Sometimes it is hard to get a fired 209 off the nipple. A CCI 157 does not fit as tight and makes it much easier to reload in a hurry.

Michael Goines

#11 ·
As long as were on this subject, I thought I'd reveal my secret to using up the 57 or 157 primers. Find a drinking straw at your local minimart that fits the primer. Cut the straw in 1/4in lengths and put on primers. Now you can seat the primers in any new hull out there. Toss hulls when done as its too much of a pain to remove the straw sleeves from the primer pocket. Now go out and get all the 157's you can at the gun shows for $1 a box. If you don't want em, send em to me. JW

#13 ·
I have an unused sleeve of 1000 Remington #57 primers in the original container, Anyone interested? I don't know a value to put on them and of course I know they are an outdated item, but I thought some one would want them to fill out a collection or something. I also have 100 CCI primers I would throw in the pot as well.
Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.