Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
What squad am I on?
TriStar TT-15 Combo
8,433 Posts
It’s been my experience that unsingles move smoother than a top, therefore the higher poi is relative to a faster moving top single.
When I made the switch from an unsingle to top, I set it up with the same poi and was consistently blowing over targets until I lowered my hold points.
I tried several different approaches but found I’m most consistent with a parallel gun hold so I set the poi based on timing and how that particular gun moves in my hands.
Some call this “setting it up to shoot where you look.” Basically I see it as not assuming that you have to have a particular poi to break targets.
My unsingles had very high patterns.
My Alfermann and Ljutic were half that but that’s what I needed if I had any hopes of consistency with those guns.
My KX6S is shooting between my unsingles and Alfie/Ljutic poi’s because it moves as a blend of top/unsingles.
Sooooo...
Step away from traditional thinking and allow how the gun moves to dictate your point of impact.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Its not that the unsingle shoots that much higher its your percieved sight picture that is the issue. Most that are used to a top single use the blur of the end of the barrel for a reference point to target. If shooting a over and under using bottom barrel there is no percieved poi difference because you are using the top barrel as a reference point to the target. Now for the unsingle most likely what you are doing is using the blur of the barrel for a reference point which in turn makes the poi crazy high. 2 things i had to change was hold point as wadhopper stated and my timing to target. With my beretta unsingle i use a low hold on house to take away the urge to look down the side of the barrel and using it as my reference point. I also shoot targets faster out of the house with the unsingle. Main thing to keep in mind with shooting is to look at target only ,try to take the barrel out of the sight picture. It takes some time to get used to shooting a unsingle and from what i hear some never get it. Its all a matter of getting the gun set to shoot what you are looking at and that cant be the gun on a unsingle.

·
Premium Member
5,160 Posts
What have shooters found to be the difference in POI between the unsingle and the top single? Yes, I know, barrels ribs are adjustable. Can't get the unsingle flat enough.
Consider that the higher poi that makes you uncomfortable may be what you need to progress as a better and improving shooter.
Sometimes you need the opposite of what you think.
However you may be 100% correct.

Without accurate patterning you could be barking up the wrong tree.

Good luck Henry

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Little more info on this. I'm coming from a Blaser F3 unsingle to the CG. Trigger speed on that gun is incredible! Left shooting a Ljutic to go to that. Just having a hard time adjusting to poi on the CG unsingle and was just wondering if going to a top single would help me since I was told they shoot a little flatter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Friend of mine bought a cg unsingle couldnt shoot it well. Traded for a cg top single and back to breaking about everything he shoots at. So yes if you shot a top single better may be wise to stay with it. Did you shoot the blaser unsingle ok?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started out last year not shooting the CG all that well, but as season progressed handicap scores kept improving. I shoot a lot of protection, which I have for 40+ years, and for that, shot it really well! But this CG really has me baffled cause of how high it shoots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts