Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Average dropped a lot this year and the doc says he can't help me with glasses any more. Is there anything special a shooter should know about cataract surgery?
(The doc is not a shooter)

AJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife just had it done, and she can see colors brighter and everything else looks so much brighter and sharper to her. She didn't realize what she was missing because it goes away so gradually, but when her sight improved so much all at once she was astonished.
Her shooting improved greatly also.
You can have lenses for close and far, you want the far sight lense in your shooting dominant eye, hers was the right eye.
Just make sure the Doc knows you shoot so he can configure the lenses right.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Cataract Surgery is a low risk/high reward proposition. Cataracts come in two forms: 1) age related and 2) injury related ... I have had both.

Today my eyes are 20/20 and all is good.

Here is an example of why the previous posters recommended speaking to your doctor to determine your outcome.

I was injured in a racquet ball tournament in the 1980's. After the trauma it was determined that I had an injury cataract, but it was stable and not to worry. This was my right and dominant eye. Over the years it got worse and surgery was required. We scheduled the surgery in 1998 and it was a piece of cake. Things were great. My glasses prescription was modified and off we went.

My left eye had an age related cataract and we spoke of surgery at some point. A fellow on my trap league team (83 years old) had both eyes done and said it was great. He had 20/20 vision in each eye. I said really??? I had it done and it was not 20/20 .. I never knew and no one spoke to me about options for lenses. The doctor said; "oh well we left you a little short sighted so you wouldn't need your glasses when you get up to brush your teeth!!!!!". I had no part in the decision!!!!

I went nuts ... unbelievable ... you left me short sighted in my dominant eye and sentenced me to corrective lenses for the rest of my life?????!

The rest of the story...

They did my left eye and it is 20/20 AND they paid for lasik surgery to "touch up" my right eye.

Today both are 20/20 and all is good, but I went 15 years with a vision issue I did not need.

PLEASE MAKE CERTAIN YOU KNOW WHAT IS UP AND THE DOCTOR UNDERSTANDS WHAT YOU WANT.

Best of Luck,

Dusty

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I had my second cataract operation on December 4, and my two-week follow-up with the ophthalmic surgeon is scheduled for this Wednesday.

As of today, I consider the surgery a total success, far beyond my expectations. Not only were my cataracts removed, but I also had my lifetime astigmatism corrected. I'm now without glasses for anything from computer screen to far distances.

The difference in color crispness, fidelity, and overall visual sharpness is nearly unbelievable.

At the top of this post, is a link to a thread I started last week, explaining how my surgery went, etc.

As DustyOne60 noted, the surgery is low risk, high reward.

Good luck.

Best, Dennis

·
Ljutic Nut
2,905 Posts
Had mine done on Dec 2nd and have had 2 follow ups. Day after surgery vision was 20/20 and I needed reading glasses. Went back on Dec 12th now vision is 20/15 and I do not need reading glasses.

I got the Baush & lomb Crystalens. They will cost you a little more but they work like a natural lens, you don't have to choose between being able to see near or far. I have been wearing reading glasses for 15 years for reading and using the computer. The only glasses I need now are plano shooting glasses and sun glasses. See link above

Jim R

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My doctor, after testing my eyes, told me I was an ideal candidate for the B&L "Crystalens". He told me that I had (and here is the technical term) "good astigmatism". Mine was +4.0 in each eye.

I removed the prescription inserts from my Ranger XLW's, and put planos back in my Zeiss Competition glasses. I also put planos back in my Ray Bans and AO Skymasters. (Tom Cruise, eat your heart out!)

Saturday, we had a very cloudy day, with a lot of snow falling. However, my eyes were very comfortable with the G15 lenses in my Ray Bans. I WILL wear sunglasses during daylight, always.

Best, Dennis

·
Ljutic Nut
2,905 Posts
I was told not to shoot for 2 to 3 weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm 7 days postoperative today. Amazingly, 22 hours after my second surgery I have 20/15 in my dominant eye and 20/20 in my other.The surgery was nothing; 10 minutes and totally painless. They don't even stitch your eye after replacing the lens and I went home without a patch. I had my astigmatism totally corrected Everything is now so much crisper and clearer. The colors and lights are beautiful. My doctor does a lot of trap shooters so discussing what I wanted was easy. I see him in two days, he said I should be able to resume shooting then, his concern causing me to wait is getting dust or anything in my eyes. My only complaint is I waited too long. I'm glad to provide anyone interested with my doctor's website, it is a wealth of information.
I had my last post operative doctors appointment, I promised him I wouldn't tell anyone my non-dominant eye is 20/15 and my dominant eye is 20/10. He said he doesn't mind my sharing his website here as a resource wherever you live. The site is; www.seeclear.com
Tom

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Each of my eyes did have a stitch put in, but the doctor advised that this was a belt/suspenders approach. The stitches can be removed, or they will hyrdolize on their own. Unless they start bothering me, they get to hyrdolize.

My only restrictions were no bungee jumping and no skydiving for a week. Shooting was OK; shotgun, rifle or pistol. There was nothing in the surgery that could be impacted by recoil to the cheek. The doctor insisted on extended dilation, so my focus was a bit blurry for 12 days after surgery.

I did away with glasses after the first operation, and my left eye tried to take over when I tried shooting trap; so I took another few weeks off. Yesterday, I shot indoors right handed with my Colt Gold Cup, and I could see reasonably well with the right eye, despite the dilation drops. The front sight outline was crisp, but the overall front sight was a bit fuzzy. Today, after discontinuing the dilating drops last night, the sights are better.

I'm right eye dominant, left handed, and shooting right handed. For a few weeks there, my eyes had a real fight as to which would dominate. The mind does play strange games.

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Ask about the Toric Lens. Similar to the B&L Crystal Lens. If you are a candidate, it may be well worth the extra money. Had both of my Mom's eyes done with the Toric lens and her vision was incredible after the surgery. I have a number of years to go before I might need them, but It's worth investigating. Another friend that was a shooter, had the Toric Lens implanted and was able to shoot much better across the board. Watch out for Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. It can result from having you head back during the procedure. Usually temporary. <a href="http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/specialty_areas/vestibular/conditions/benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo.html" target="_blank">Johns Hopkins Website</a>

·
Sky Buster
4,034 Posts
I had mine done a year ago. I told the Doc I wanted my vision optimized
at 50 yards. The operation was a snap. I waited one week before shooting.
Amazing difference! (age 73)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had both eyes done last spring two weeks apart. Doc did not want me to shoot for a week after each operation. Like everyone has said the return of colors and brightness is amazing at least. I was nearly 20/20 two weeks after the second eye was done. Now I have to go for an eye test as I feel as my eyes are changing. I wear cheaters for reading and computer but now I feel that I need them more all the time.

ctreay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts